Adding more Cichlids to my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have 5 electric yellow labs, 2 coblat blue zebras, 1 red blotch zebra, and 2 BNP's. they are all 2 inches and I think they are all males except 2-3 labs. I am heading out tomorrow morning as soon as my LFS opens and getting a list of the cichlids they have then comes back home, researching them, then have to head back there before lunch time and put my order in. I was wondering id there were any cichlids that would work that might be on the list? No rusty's and I want small fish (4 inches ish) once I get the list I will put them all on here and see what you think tomorrow. I only have a few hours to do it though and dont want to run out of time :( I was thinking afra cobue but I don't think it will be on the list. any ideas?? My tank is all slate and two filters

Well u could read all your other threads on adding stock to your tank and review the info people have given you. Now that you know alittle more about cichlids it might make more sense to you now.

You could get really any other cynotilipia afra they have on the list just dont mix ones that look similar a it could cause problems..

I personally like the cynotilipia afra jalo reef
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1733

You could try the pseudo. Chalosi

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=860

Really depends on what you want

Well u could read all your other threads on adding stock to your tank and review the info people have given you. Now that you know alittle more about cichlids it might make more sense to you now.

You could get really any other cynotilipia afra they have on the list just dont mix ones that look similar a it could cause problems..

I personally like the cynotilipia afra jalo reef
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1733

You could try the pseudo. Chalosi

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=860

Really depends on what you want

I can only get one of each cynotilipia?

I can only get one of each cynotilipia?

What do you mean one of each ? like 1 male of cobue and jalo reef ? or like only 1 period .. You can do a group of the same one if thats what your asking. I dont think i would mix those to together though in your size tank as they look similiar and could cause aggression .

What do you mean one of each ? like 1 male of cobue and jalo reef ? or like only 1 period .. You can do a group of the same one if thats what your asking. I dont think i would mix those to together though in your size tank as they look similiar and could cause aggression .

Yes by one i meant like only having one. I wanted a group of 5 fish but i don't want aggression.

ok you can have 4 cynotilipias .. 1m and 3f of the same one.

But are the females a brown and the males are the blue and yellow? I don't want any brown/rusty looking fish :( could one male just be bought or will he want to be dominant? My red blotch and cobalt are prob already going to try and be the dominant males

a friend of mine has them and he says they are a light blue though
okay I am going to try and get maybe the afra cobue... I dont know. I need to know of any fish that are like 4 inchs in lake malawi.... not Kenyyii, damasoni, johanni, bumblebee or acei. I dont know if my mom wasnt to drive all the way to the store and get the list, drive back home, me look them all up then drive back and put my order in. The girl at the LFS said to research them and then phone and see if they have them on the list... I cant find any that are about 4 inchs... HELPPP!!

Did you look on cichlid-forums.com/profiles you can do a search thats more detailed at the bottom an it will list whatever you specified
I have looked on there before. there is way to many to look thorugh it will take me days. is there anyway to narrow it down with the size of them???

No i jist checked but you can narrow it to the temperment being mildly aggressive and that should knock a good bit off then if you want a specific food preference you can choose carnivore,omnivore or herbivore which will knock more off .. your yellow labs are omnivores for sure i think so is the zebra but that will help narrow it some i know it takes awhile bc i still research fish on there n i changed my stocking list atleast 4 times before i added any to my tank

Did you look on cichlid-forums.com/profiles you can do a search thats more detailed at the bottom an it will list whatever you specified

I did find a few on there just looking quick but i think they will be hard to get. I am just going to go grab the list and look them all up and have to make a decision in 2 hour ish

No i jist checked but you can narrow it to the temperment being mildly aggressive and that should knock a good bit off then if you want a specific food preference you can choose carnivore,omnivore or herbivore which will knock more off .. your yellow labs are omnivores for sure i think so is the zebra but that will help narrow it some i know it takes awhile bc i still research fish on there n i changed my stocking list atleast 4 times before i added any to my tank

Yes i have changed my stock so many times bet now finding the last bit of fish is a bit harder since they don't have small cichlids around here really. They are all like 6 inches other then electric yellows

Have you looked into trying to find someone local? Here is a thread that was started a long time ago from a trusted member about buying fish in Canada. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f42/buying-fish-online-in-canada-54516.html if memory serves me right I think that's where you said you live. Maybe you can try sending a pm to zagz on that link and maybe she can help you out with the Canada fish thing. I know she use to keep many Africans of different types but not sure if she still does.

Have you looked into trying to find someone local? Here is a thread that was started a long time ago from a trusted member about buying fish in Canada. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f42/buying-fish-online-in-canada-54516.html if memory serves me right I think that's where you said you live. Maybe you can try sending a pm to zagz on that link and maybe she can help you out with the Canada fish thing. I know she use to keep many Africans of different types but not sure if she still does.
I am not allowed to order online, my dad.... does not like to do that. I HAVE THE LISTTT :)
Electric blue ahli
hap. obliquedens
red top zebra med
taiwan reef peacock
assorted africans
cobalt blue zebra
kenyi
electric yellow
strawberry peacock
kadango peacock
sunshine yellow peacock
electric blue johanni
hap. livingstoni
hap. milomo
red frontosa
tropheus bemba
bumblebee
red blotch zebra
venustus

I am not allowed to order online, my dad.... does not like to do that. I HAVE THE LISTTT :)
Electric blue ahli
hap. obliquedens
red top zebra med
taiwan reef peacock
assorted africans
cobalt blue zebra
kenyi
electric yellow
strawberry peacock
kadango peacock
sunshine yellow peacock
electric blue johanni
hap. livingstoni
hap. milomo
red frontosa
tropheus bemba
bumblebee
red blotch zebra
venustus
I got it down from 22 down to 6. I don't really want peacocks but I just have them as last options. Can I get like 5 of the "Hap. obliquedens(comes 2") gest 4"" ones??? if not can i get 5 of the red top rebras??
Hap. obliquedens(comes 2") gest 4"
red top zebra (they come size MED?) gets 5"
Tropheus Duboisi (comes SM/M??) gets 5"
Tropheus Bemba (comes SM/M??) gets 6"
Strawberry peacock (comes 3 -3/12") gets 6"
sunshine peacock (comes 2 1/2 - 3") gets 4"-6"

I got it down from 22 down to 6. I don't really want peacocks but I just have them as last options. Can I get like 5 of the "Hap. obliquedens(comes 2") gest 4"" ones??? if not can i get 5 of the red top rebras??
Hap. obliquedens(comes 2") gest 4"
red top zebra (they come size MED?) gets 5"
Tropheus Duboisi (comes SM/M??) gets 5"
Tropheus Bemba (comes SM/M??) gets 6"
Strawberry peacock (comes 3 -3/12") gets 6"
sunshine peacock (comes 2 1/2 - 3") gets 4"-6"

Peacocks or red top lol down to 3

Back
Top Bottom