Adding New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I just wanted to share a great experience. Unknowlingly, I've been adding males to my tank. Everytime without a doubt the male gets attacked by the other males. It has been stressfull. I've had to take many fish back to the store because of the fighting or attacks. I pick the fish by color and seems the males are most appealing to me. I stop by the petstore just about every other day to see what new African cichlids are in so yesterday I stood by the tank and wanted to get a nice yellow johanni. Gorgeous! Luckily a breeder was there and I got the pleasure to ask questions. He told me to add a female (although I've read this previously) after I told him if I took a male to my tank my boys would destroy him. He picked out a female, of course I said, "Are you sure it's a female?" Yes, to a breeder. He said I should have no issues with her. She was also a little smaller in size than my crew.

Well it went so smooth! I set her in and fed them at the same time. She went in without a hitch. NO one bothered her at all. Was this MY tank? Wow, what a pleasure to add fish. Hopefully I can learn to choose the females in the future. It was much easier to add a female then to watch a male go lip to lip with another male.

Even this morning as I fed them, they allowed her to eat and were actually gentle with her. Amazing how fish interact. I am so loving this hobby!

Tonight I'll do a water change (did one yesterday after they ate). My nitrites are still up :(

Thanks for having me in this group.

Tank 29 gal - converting to a 55 gal as soon as it cycles

1 Blood Parrot
1 Tipalia Buttokoferi

2 femle African Cichlid (one peacock, one zebra)
5 male African cichlid (zebra, blueberry, ? ice blue colbert with black outline)

New fish

1 female ice blue colbert with only black on her bottom. She looks exactly like my male.
She is so pretty! The breeder said her name but I don't remember

Back
Top Bottom