Adding new fish to my existing set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal set up that I'm looking to add a bottom feeder into. I would love to get a catfish but don't know if I would be able to introduce it into my tank. I currently have a yellow lab, 2 electric blue Hap. A jack Dempsey, one cichlid I can't identify, and a goldflake Moray eel. I had a Pleco but he continually would swim into the lid and his head wound got infected so unfortunately I lost him. My fish all get along at this point. The yellow lab supriisingly is head of the tank and actually beats up the others when she gets in a mood. But (knock on wood) I have never had a problem with any aggression. Any ideas on adding a catfish to my tank?

Mixing mbuna with haps is going to lead to enough problems but throwing an SA in with africans is definitely not good news. I wouldn't add anymore fish to be honest.

What kind of problems are you foreseeing if you don't mind me asking. I only ask so I am repaired. Right now my fish are all about 3-4 inch. The lab being the smallest and Hap and jack being the largest. The Hap are pretty docile and pay no mind to the others and the lab keeps the jack in line. Do you see this changing?

I just had the same issue. I recently rehomed 14 of my mbuna so I could keep my haps and peacocks. Mbuna are really aggressive towards most any other fish.

And I also agree, i wouldnt mix s.a with africans at all. :)
Different water parameters, diet and disposition.

Km84 said:
What kind of problems are you foreseeing if you don't mind me asking. I only ask so I am repaired. Right now my fish are all about 3-4 inch. The lab being the smallest and Hap and jack being the largest. The Hap are pretty docile and pay no mind to the others and the lab keeps the jack in line. Do you see this changing?

The jack dempsey will grow to 10", the lab won't grow much more. More than likely one will end up killing the other, I'm putting money on the JD.

I almost had to dhole the jack when I first got him. The guy at the store basically gave him to me for free and he was in the same tank with the two I picked up then. When I put them in he terrorized the other two. That last for about 3 hours. I found out he was returned. Now I know why he wS free!! But then my lab and the other one which I can't identify must have had enough. The jack is a good two inches larger then the other two and lives in fear of them! My lab is rather aggressive. Odd for a lab, I have had them in the past and they have never been that way. Right now there are no problems not even small ones so I will just keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom