advice on german blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmwryan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.
The other day i bought 1male and 2female german blue rams.but the male kept chasing the females away and the females wouldnt come out from around the back of the filter.i took 1female back to the fish shop but the other ram never comes out now.if it does it gets chased away.how many is best in a community tank.thinking of getting another male and maybe to females to balance things

well rams will pair on your own one male to 2-3 females is a good ratio then once they pair you can take the other two out if breeding is the way your trying to go. the chasing is prob. just due to stress from being moved im sure it will die down after several days.

Thanks.i actually purchased another small male and female so i have 2 of each.they seem a little happier now but ill take your advice and get afew more females

To breed 2 pairs of GBR'S, your going to need at least 30 us gallons or roughly 120 litres to ensure water quality is kept good, plus you still might have issues when breeding starts or if a pair break up. I'd only do 2 Rams in a 60 litre or they could end up stressing each other.

Last edited:
If they breed then cool.im not too bothered about them breeding as long as their happy.3 of them seem happy out swimming but still one behind filter that rarely comes out

Back
Top Bottom