Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need some advice on my cichlids. Petsmart told me I can put any cichlid with any cichlid? Right now I have four cichlids ( electric yellow, ram, pearl, and a blue ) they seem to get along but I am scared the others are going to kill our ram cuz he stays smaller. If anyone could help out please let me know I dont want any to die cuz I was misinformed.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Need some advice on my cichlids. Petsmart told me I can put any cichlid with any cichlid? Right now I have four cichlids ( electric yellow, ram, pearl, and a blue ) they seem to get along but I am scared the others are going to kill our ram cuz he stays smaller. If anyone could help out please let me know I dont want any to die cuz I was misinformed.

Petsmart strikes again with the bad advice, not all cichlids can go together.

Electric yellow labs are Mbuna
Ram is a new world cichlid
I'm not sure what pearl and blue cichlids are.

The rams should not be kept with the large more aggressive fish like Mbuna they'll get torn to shreds.

God it's like the always give me wrong info. Okay blue is my electric blue cichlid and my pearl cichlid I have know idea suppose to be pink with blue and green spots he looks just like my blue same body shape same marking just different colors. and do u think it would be alright for now to put my ram cichlid in with my angelfish, plecto, and Dino bichir? They r all none aggressive fish.

Petsmart strikes again with the bad advice, not all cichlids can go together.

Electric yellow labs are Mbuna
Ram is a new world cichlid
I'm not sure what pearl and blue cichlids are.

The rams should not be kept with the large more aggressive fish like Mbuna they'll get torn to shreds.
I agree. Leave them together for long enough and the ram will die in my opinion. I suggest you return them all and do some reseach about what cichlids are compatable, in what gender ratios to keep them, and how many will be happy in your tank before purchasing anything else.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
God it's like the always give me wrong info. Okay blue is my electric blue cichlid and my pearl cichlid I have know idea suppose to be pink with blue and green spots he looks just like my blue same body shape same marking just different colors. and do u think it would be alright for now to put my ram cichlid in with my angelfish, plecto, and Dino bichir? They r all none aggressive fish.

Yes a ram could be with them. How bigs the tank? Must be big for a bichir

Yeah I found that out that they get big petsmart said they stayed small right now they r in a ten gallon but in a week I am getting them a bigger tank. So I need to put the ram with my angel?

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Yeah I found that out that they get big petsmart said they stayed small right now they r in a ten gallon but in a week I am getting them a bigger tank. So I need to put the ram with my angel?

Yes. So you have an angel and a birchir in a 10? Sheesh. Ya how big will the new tank be? I guess youll have to put the ram in the 10..

That depends. How big is the angel's tank? What all is in it? Just because a ram can get along with an angel does not mean that the angel tank is necessarily the best place for it to go. Also, do you have a way to measure the water parameters? Rams are somewhat sensitive and you need to make sure anytank you put them suits their needs.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Its almost thirty gallons and how big does the bichir get?

Bichirs can get to be a foot. And they are aggressive. Give them enough time and they will take a chomp out of any fish they can catch. I would rehome the bichir.

So the ram is a sensitive fish?
Yes. It is.
Also, 29 gallons is not enough for a birchir (who gets over a foot long), pleco (which gets to be well over a foot long), an angel, and a ram. You should do some re-evaluating of your stock IMO. For now, yes, you can put the ram in there, but they are sensitive, so measure the water params if you can.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Its almost thirty gallons and how big does the bichir get?

I think an adult birchir will need a 75 and can get over a foot long. Correct me if im wrong

That 29 is too small for All of those cichlids except the Ram. Africans need a minimum of a 4' tank so you are looking at a 40-55 gallon tank as a bare minimum. The electric blue is a hap and needs a 6' tank minimum.

The "Pearl Cichlid" is actually a Geophagus brasiliensis and can grow up to 11"

Thanks everyone for advice I'm going to split my fish up correctly so no one gets killed would it be okay to put the Dino bichir in with my aggressive cichlids? Since he is aggressive too.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Thanks everyone for advice I'm going to split my fish up correctly so no one gets killed would it be okay to put the Dino bichir in with my aggressive cichlids? Since he is aggressive too.

No, they need different water parameters. Best you can do is return him. He'll get big anyway

Wow I don't think they will take him back I will just upgrade when I can and hopefully all my fish make it until then I hate being misinformed about my fish then I stress until they have what they r suppose to have. Gezzzz

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Wow I don't think they will take him back I will just upgrade when I can and hopefully all my fish make it until then I hate being misinformed about my fish then I stress until they have what they r suppose to have. Gezzzz

Are you sure youll be able to upgrade to a 75? At least ask and argue that they misinformed you..good that your trying to help your fishies tho!! :D

Yes I am positive that we will be able to get a 75 gallon. We love our fish that's why we got them so we will do what's in our power to make sure they r happy. They r my little babies!

Back
Top Bottom