Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Advice regarding additional fish

I have a 36g Bowfront corner with one 5 1/2" male EBJD and one 5" Pleco. I am in the process of clearing a nine month algae bloom with a UV sterilizer after trying other methods which failed. (bloom due to water system phosphate levels combined with duo strip T5HO installed, yes, nine months ago) I do vacuum the gravel once a week along with a 25-40% water change, even when it was green. Now that I'm able to see inside the tank, yay!, I'm going to add some rock decor of some type. I was wondering if I have enough room for another fish or two and what size? Mr Dempsey has a normal aggressive personality, I believe. He did dispatch an EBJD female sibling a year ago that was small and very weak. Any advice would be appreciated, even if to tell me that I'm maxed out.

anachrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure all the cichlid people will tell you the jd needs a minimum of 55gal just for himself..

Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dempsey won't take it well. If you re home the Dempsey then you can add a few in
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryldooley View Post
Dempsey won't take it well. If you re home the Dempsey then you can add a few in
Nah, I can't rehome him. I've had him since he was 1". So he shall remain a loner. That's okay, maybe down the road I can get a larger tank. Everyone needs more than one.

Thank you.
anachrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you don't mind constant fights and adding caves could try jaguar cichlids but I don't recommend it. Hope u can ignite something out ! another tank helps haha
Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

hum I meant figure not ignite haha

Tags
advice, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com