african and americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
so whats the debate on keeping them together, i personally have never had a problem doing so. the only thing i ever actually had an issue with is, my friend who asked me to keep his blood red parrot that was killing off his fish, so i took it home put it in the tank with my clown knife and rtc. that didnt go well it started picking on my rtc then my clown knife. then i stuck it in my tank with my africans and americans, the only ones that didnt like that was my mating pair of jack they killed the parrot then went and layed eggs three days later i had fry. i guess they impressed each other with the killing.:agrue:

so this is now my 55 gallon cichlid tank, no more molly fry in here. i got my two jack dempseys (male and female), my electric blue melanochromis johannii, my 12 inch pleco and albino choclate pleco with a tiny unknown pleco, a black tiger oscar( my girlfriends), and i dont know what the little yellow guy is. oh and theres a mystery snail in there.YouTube - cichlid tank

The fish may survive, but they will not thrive.

RTC should not be sold or kept in aquaria IMO.

Here are my "1000 words" on that topic.

Attachments

• 002red-tail-catfish.jpg
    002red-tail-catfish.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 74
yeah ive seen that pic got it on my phone actually, the rtc i had is now in a huge pond at my uncles so he will thrive. and so will all my cichlids, ive raised cichlids since i was twelve and i have always had african and american, on top of that they always grew to there full potential.

yeah ive seen that pic got it on my phone actually, the rtc i had is now in a huge pond at my uncles so he will thrive. and so will all my cichlids, ive raised cichlids since i was twelve and i have always had african and american, on top of that they always grew to there full potential.

Won't the dempseys become aggressive if they breed?
Seems a little overstocked. Cant see how all those fish will reach their full potential. May help if you give your girlfriend her Oscar back.

the oscar is going in a bigger tank when he gets bigger, and im turning an old fridge into a tank for breeding my dempseys, they have had fry twice already. and i started this thread to talk about keeping africans and americans togther. not my fishes breeding habits.

the oscar is going in a bigger tank when he gets bigger, and im turning an old fridge into a tank for breeding my dempseys, they have had fry twice already. and i started this thread to talk about keeping africans and americans togther. not my fishes breeding habits.

Can't wait for that build thread! :rolleyes:

You asked about what the "debate" was with keeping them together... they need different conditions and are not compatible on a basic aggresion / territorial level, but yet you are happy keeping them as is. Ever see the pics of a pleco with it's eyes ripped out by mating africans? I've seen several. Did you really want any input? Breeding dempseys means as much as breeding mollies to me, you've added water. Bravo. I wish your fish good luck.

wow is someone filling threatened by the fact im keeping them together and there doing extremely well. ive done more then just add water so stop trying to look cool and calm down your obviously trying to pick a fight. and im just trying to get my thread started. your personal problems need to go some where else. and after the dempseys are taken out there will be no mating cichlids in there.

Breeding habits would certainly play into the compatibility issue, so it would seem. Said habits are quite different between SA/CA and African cichlids, let alone the other differences that have already been mentioned.

but as i just stated there isnt going to be anyone breeding in the tank the dempseys are going into a bigger tank, an old fridge im turning into a tank.

but as i just stated there isnt going to be anyone breeding in the tank the dempseys are going into a bigger tank, an old fridge im turning into a tank.

Ok, so that just leaves the other issues that have been mentioned by others; namely, the different requirements for water parameters coupled with the contradictory dietary needs of these cichlids from different regions (and vastly different habitats). They may survive, but it isn't by any means ideal. Sorry you aren't hearing what you want to hear.

wow is someone filling feeling threatened by the fact im keeping them together and there doing extremely well. ive done more then just add water so stop trying to look cool and calm down your obviously trying to pick a fight. and im just trying to get my thread started. your personal problems need to go some where else. and after the dempseys are taken out there will be no mating cichlids in there.

You are making it very hard to try to take the high road. I've sincerely tried to help you several times, in the several threads you've posted relative to the one over stocked tank you have and the supposed pond. Not to mention your prowess at breeding fish (3 species) and your combative responses to those who also tried to ground you while encouraging you to learn more. Good luck on your large scale breeding / wholesale molly operation. Maybe you should focus on learning how to keep fish alive before you get delusions of grandeur and decide to attack me in a public forum. I wasn't trying to pick a fight by any means, but I'm afraid you made that choice for me. If you ask a question, don't whine like a spoiled teen when you get an answer that you don't like. Like I said, I wish your fish good luck and I also hold no ill will towards you. I know how naive and delusioned I was at that age so I can understand your "confusion". I'm truly just here to help.

do you even know how old i am. and i have never had one of my fish die. my wholesale molly operation is something im going to laugh at you over in the future when you buying my fish from a store.

so whats the debate on keeping them together, i personally have never had a problem doing so. the only thing i ever actually had an issue with is, my friend who asked me to keep his blood red parrot that was killing off his fish, so i took it home put it in the tank with my clown knife and rtc. that didnt go well it started picking on my rtc then my clown knife. then i stuck it in my tank with my africans and americans, the only ones that didnt like that was my mating pair of jack they killed the parrot then went and layed eggs three days later i had fry. i guess they impressed each other with the killing.:agrue:

do you even know how old i am. and i have never had one of my fish die. my wholesale molly operation is something im going to laugh at you over in the future when you buying my fish from a store.

Your first post seems to contradict that.

I don't buy common fish and very rarely buy from a store. I prefer rare fish from breeders and fellow club members. I've bred at least 20 species of fish and inverts myself and didn't have an uncle next to me. I spend a lot of time talking to very accomplished breeders and operators of actual fish farms rather than merely wondering what they do. I've watched Amano set up tanks, I keep Marine tanks, I've attended Superzoo, I'm an active member of the ACA, AGA, ALA, ARC, AAAA, and a volunteer at the Georgia Aquarium. Choose your battles more carefully in the future. I'm not concerned about buying your fish anytime in the future.

stop being lazy and type all those out. lol.... some people will never learn i guess.

on a side note do you know how much they buy those mollies for over seas?

i hate being general on things but Africans do best in higher ph 8 with hard water some even more when Americans on the other hand do better in soft water with lower ph 7 and bellow.

africans come from rift lakes and rivers which is mostly sand or big rocks.

americans more leaf and wood type of bottom.

Your first post seems to contradict that.
To be fair, that was his friend's fish so it doesn't really count.:rolleyes:

Having fish reproduce and breeding are two different things.

so whats the debate on keeping them together, i personally have never had a problem doing so.
Sure they can be kept together. You can keep a goldfish in a bowl, a betta in a cup, and pacus in a 10 gallon.:(

What happened to all those fish? Don't many central american cichlids live 10+ years?

What happened to all those fish? Don't many central american cichlids live 10+ years?[/quote]
they have either been sold to pay for new tanks and equipment to people with bigger tanks and some i have given to friends, ive got a lot of my friends into this hobby.

depends on what Africans you are talking about, exactly... Mbuna have totally different dietary needs than most New World cichlids, plus the size issue already mentioned. A three in demasoni would hate life in a tank with a ten inch texas cichlid... Common sense to some, not all folks agree I guess...

Back
Top Bottom