african cichlid compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laksman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello ppl
i was wondering how thes fish would go together:
1. pearl of lakoma
2. electric yellows 1 male 1 female
1. M. cyaneorhabdos
1. butterfly peacock
1. yellow peacock
1. flame back
2. convicts 1 male 1 female
1. bristle nose cat fish

depends on the size of the tanks.
i'd recommend losing the convicts first.
others are compatible.
but it'd be better to stick with either the mbunas (pearl of likoma (melano. joanjohnsonae), yellow labs, the cyaneorhabdos) or the peacock/hap combo and beefing the numbers on any choice you make.

I agree ^^. IMO its best to choose one or the other....especially if you are keeping some of the more aggressive Mbuna. Peacocks are not nearly as aggressive IME and can get picked on quite a bit.

Mbuna are best kept in groups of ~4-5 with 1 male to 3-4 females of each type. Peacocks can be kept in smaller groups of 3-4 with 1 male to 2-3 females.

I was also told to avoid keeping 2 fish of the same genus (Pearl of Likoma and Mainango are both Melanochromis). ;)

What size tank are we talking about?

JustOneMore20 said:
What size tank are we talking about?

The OP just put some pictures into a gallery of all those fish in a 20 gal tank.

IMGP0633.JPG

Wow... that ought to be fun when those convicts begin to spawn, which should be any second now.

Convicts are kind of like the tribbles from the series 'Star Trek', i.e. they must be born pregnant. That is one of the reasons why they are so cheap at my LFS (less than $2 each).

Malawi cichlids really should be kept in atleast a 4ft tank. There are some of them that will do ok in a 3ft tank but those are usually the less aggressive ones. None of them belong in a 20g though.

If you want to keep the fish in the best setup for them and not risk losing some due to aggression (which is bound to happen sooner or later), you should really upgrade to atleast 40g tank.

Please try to do the best for the fish you have. :)

i agree with that your heading for a war filled tank. for a 20 i would lose all the malawi and get small tangt rock or shell dwellers. try looking for a used 55 long or a 75 you can get great delas on used ones you will need that for full grown malawi

Back
Top Bottom