African Cichlid Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, setting up a 55 gal this weekend. I was set on doing the xp3 until I talked to a guy at my lfs, and he was veering me away from doing a canister on my cichlid tank. What are your guys thoughts on filtration on my new 55?

Away from a canister?! Is he high?! What was he recommending?

I have canisters on all my larger tanks and love them! The XP3 would work well on that tank.

He was saying that the canister just builds up nitrates since there is little water movement and air contact compared to the standard filter. He said I would run two of the standards.

Southpaw said:
He was saying that the canister just builds up nitrates since there is little water movement and air contact compared to the standard filter. He said I would run two of the standards.

LOL, wow just wow! Do me a favor and don't listen to a word that man says. Canisters move tons of water and have a superior amount of surface area for bacteria to grow on. By standard in guessing he was talking about hang on back filters?

Oh yes, sorry for the confusing, yes hang on back ones. Is there any logic in what he was saying about on how HOB's keep nitrates lower than canisters on this tank? What would you recommend, xp3 then?

Southpaw said:
Oh yes, sorry for the confusing, yes hang on back ones. Is there any logic in what he was saying about on how HOB's keep nitrates lower than canisters on this tank? What would you recommend, xp3 then?

There is no logic beside the fact he is trying to recommend a filter that you would have to continue to come in the store and buy replacement cartridges.

With weekly water changes and rinsing out the sponges in the canisters bi weekly I never see nitrates over 20 ppm. Once you buy the canister there is no media to replace just rinse them. The XP 3/4 would work great on a 55. I have a Fluval 305 and XP2 on my 55.

Thank you so much from preventing me from making a major mistake!!

I totally agree with mogurako if that helps any :) I have the xp3 and love them.

Mogurako you totally had me confused changing your avatar lol

I have 55 cichlid tank as well and i use a wet dry filter from my old salt water tank and it works very well.

Supercichlid said:
I have 55 cichlid tank as well and i use a wet dry filter from my old salt water tank and it works very well.

Wet-dry would be my first choice for a larger tank with high bioload fish, but on a smaller 55 gallon a canister would more than sufficient.

LOL, there are as many opinions as there are aquarists!

Any filter can become a nitrate factory if not properly maintained. Wet/dry filters have fallen out of favor in reef circles due to the tendency for the bio balls to collect detritus and then decay in the biomedia itself, thus creating ammonia directly in the biomedia, which is subsequently converted to nitrite and nitrate. This can occur in a canister filter if the mechanical filtration media is not cleaned or replaced regularlyand leaches into the biomedia, and can occur in HOBs if the mechanical filtration media is not changed regularly or if the bio pad becomes infiltrated with detritus and is not rinsed. Efficiency/effectiveness really comes down to maintaining the filters correctly.

I much prefer HOBs, mainly due to the ease of maintenance. I run Emperor or Penguin HOB filters on almost all my tanks and have absolutely no issues. I do have three canister filters on my 225 gallon tank now. In the past I always ran it with HOBs, and never had any issues. But IMO the canisters haven't turned out to be what I expected. My water quality isn't any better or worse than it was with HOBs, and the canisters are a bit more work to maintain. I'm seriously thinking of moving the tank a coupla inches further from the wall the next time it's empty just so I can get Emperor 400s on it and can do away with the canisters, even if it does cost me a small party for the guys it'll take to help me move it. I can check and swap out filter media in any ten of my HOBs in the same time it takes me to breakdown one canister filter and change out the mechanical filtration, and I don't hafta shut down the HOBs to do it.

So yeah, my opinion and experience is different. Personally, I recommend an Emperor 400 on yer 55. That's what I run on my 55 gallon mbuna tanks with 15 fish + or - in 'em, and I have no issues whatsoever.

WYite

I think HOB filters are just as good as canisters and easier to clean. This also isn't the first I'm hearing of bio balls being nitrate factories. I think either will work for u. When it comes to having to replace cartridges in HOBs I don't use the ones that come with them I make my own ( very cheap) so that's not a problem at all. I vote for HOB filter but that's just me. I don't think your LFS guy gave u bad advice it is just his opinion.

...When it comes to having to replace cartridges in HOBs I don't use the ones that come with them I make my own ( very cheap) so that's not a problem at all...

Ditto, make my own as well. It can get pretty expensive if yer runnin' multiple filters and run new store bought filter cartridges all the time.

WYite

Bio balls only collect organic matter if you do not have a pre-filter on them and quite frankly if someone does not that's a huge miss over sight ob their part.

Canisters with with the pull out trays like Rena and Fluval are simple an fast to clean out. I do my maintenance while I'm filling and draining my tank.

Two other reasons I go Canister over HOB is A: after you lose more than half an inch of water with the HOB you get that annoying trickle sound and tons of micro bubbles and B: HOB come no where near matching the surface area that canisters have to grow bacteria on, so IMO they have superior bio-filtration.

+1 totally agree especially with african Cichlids as we tend to be over stocked you'll need that extra good bacteria buildup that hob filters don't offer due to space as stated above

I run a couple AquaClear 110's on my 55 African tank. There are pros and cons to it. It's a breeze to clean the media, I only use the sponge and bio rings also have some cc in a media bag in one. BUT I have also battled high nitrates and still do occasionally. I personally enjoy the sound of the HOB's. and I get tons of movement from the flow of water.

AndrewsPistol said:
I run a couple AquaClear 110's on my 55 African tank. There are pros and cons to it. It's a breeze to clean the media, I only use the sponge and bio rings also have some cc in a media bag in one. BUT I have also battled high nitrates and still do occasionally. I personally enjoy the sound of the HOB's. and I get tons of movement from the flow of water.

ACs are the only HOB I use in my smaller tanks due to the fact they are the closest you can get to a canister.

Andrew put poly fill below your sponge and it will do a better job at helping keep the bio-rings free of the finer bio waste. Replace it once a week, that with aggressive water changes it should help the nitrates stay lower.

Wow thank you guys for the abundance of information. For my initial setup I may lean towards HOBs due to finances. A few you spoke of DIY filters and media? Can you please go into a little more detail about this process, to cut down on cost etc.

Thanks!! :)

And is the consensus ACs are of better quality than emperors for HOBs?

Back
Top Bottom