African Cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpatrick007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can any one give me the best African cichlid setup for a 75 gallon

Including a frontosa

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure frontosa need a species tank, but I could be wrong. what is the foot print of the tank?

What do you mean ? (I'm new to this stuff srry!)

75gallon btw

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words a population of frontosa needs to be kept all by itself, don't include other types.

So like a frontosa only tank or can I mix with other tanganyikan cichlids?

75 is really to small for frontosa. They like to be in groups of 5 or more and get to be 18" so 125 or more is recommended. In a larger size tank you can mix frontosa with other Tanganyika.

If you like the colors of frontosa you could go with a false Frontosa - Lamprologus Tretocephalus. They are cool fish that will do well in a 75. see link below.

Cichlid Profiles

But Malawian cichlids go well together right?

Most Malawian cichlids go well together of you do mix peacocks and mbunas make sure peacocks are larger than mbunas so they don't get bullied they key to a good african cichlid tank is the hiding spaces lots of decor like pants and rock like lime stone which it's great for them cuz it'll raise your ph and use aragonite you can actually stock your tank about 1.5 inch fish per gallon or 2 but you must have a good filtration system

Most Malawian cichlids go well together of you do mix peacocks and mbunas make sure peacocks are larger than mbunas so they don't get bullied they key to a good african cichlid tank is the hiding spaces lots of decor like pants and rock like lime stone which it's great for them cuz it'll raise your ph and use aragonite you can actually stock your tank about 1.5 inch fish per gallon or 2 but you must have a good filtration system

I'm getting some mixed answers as far as stocking. I'm setting up a 55G tank for Cichlids. I've been told I want to fully stock to avoid bullying and death and that an ideal number of chichlids for my size of tank would be 15. But if I go by the 1.5-2.0 inch of fish per gal, I can only have 6 fish... What to do????

I'm getting some mixed answers as far as stocking. I'm setting up a 55G tank for Cichlids. I've been told I want to fully stock to avoid bullying and death and that an ideal number of chichlids for my size of tank would be 15. But if I go by the 1.5-2.0 inch of fish per gal, I can only have 6 fish... What to do????

If you still want to do dwarf mbuna 4 inch max. You can do 15 in a 55 gallon.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The old inches of fish per gallon is a load of u know what - no matter what size aquarium and species of fish. It especially holds not true if doing mbuna. And 15 can be done in a 55 provided you filter it well.

Not necessarily I got a frontosa with mbunas and peacocks

A frontosa does not a population make, at least not in the sense that population was being used here. Even though technically, a frontosa = a population of 1. :brows:

Back
Top Bottom