African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floydian44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to purchase some that get 4.5inches big, how many if any can go in a 20 gallon aquarium.

FWIW, just about no African cichlid belongs in a tank that size. You could get something different and get way more fish. The fish would be happier

i agree the tank should be bigger, however in all honesty as long as the tank is a LONG tank you could do 6 (2m 4f). but the bioload would mean extra pwc, and you cannot get very aggressive affys in there. simply no. they will need much more territory.

what were you thinking? xxx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i agree the tank should be bigger, however in all honesty as long as the tank is a LONG tank you could do 6 (2m 4f). but the bioload would mean extra pwc, and you cannot get very aggressive affys in there. simply no. they will need much more territory.

what were you thinking? xxx

I was thinking I wanted a taste of rare African fish in my own tank ;)

This is a good resource for info on cichlids. Here's the page on their shellies - Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

The more common shellies are multis, brevis, and occies. As you'll see in the link, there are several others as well. Shellies and kribs would be the only fish I'd put in a 20 high. In a 20 long, you might be able to put some other tangs... though not much to choose from there.

is it a 20 long or high?
high would be better with shellies, kribs, angels or rams.
long would be ok with dwarf flag, apistogrammas, angels, rams, buffalo head cichlid (rarer, very cool!), egyptian mouth brooders (pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi), possibly keyholes but they'd need pretty much the whole tank to a pair if they want to spawn.
iv had the nicholsis, they are very active and beautiful. the male attempted to spawn with anything that swam... and even shimmied for my human friend! also two buffalo cichlids, they were fun but very shy. and i have two dwarf flag cichlids, i adore them as they are pretty and very brave.

what was it you liked, the colour of affys or the personality? iv reccomended a blend of affys and americans so they are not compatible together, just let me know what you like :) xx x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
is it a 20 long or high?
high would be better with shellies, kribs, angels or rams.
long would be ok with dwarf flag, apistogrammas, angels, rams, buffalo head cichlid (rarer, very cool!), egyptian mouth brooders (pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi), possibly keyholes but they'd need pretty much the whole tank to a pair if they want to spawn.
iv had the nicholsis, they are very active and beautiful. the male attempted to spawn with anything that swam... and even shimmied for my human friend! also two buffalo cichlids, they were fun but very shy. and i have two dwarf flag cichlids, i adore them as they are pretty and very brave.

what was it you liked, the colour of affys or the personality? iv reccomended a blend of affys and americans so they are not compatible together, just let me know what you like :) xx x

It is a 20 long

Back
Top Bottom