Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashafer

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395013525.447152.jpg new tank set up 40 gallon. What fish can I put in to start ph cycle. Also I want to put Africans in it any recommendations on which ones how many and I would like to breed them. Would also like to know how to tell sex

40 gallons is a bit small for most of the african cichlids from the rift lakes. They recommend at least 55 gallons for cichlids from Malawi, tanganyika, and Victoria. How would you feel about dwarf cichlids like kribensis?

If they have them at jacks pets I can get them only pet store with in 50 miles they breed easily

Once they form a pair they will breed often. All they need is a cave to lay their eggs and a pH around 7. They can have 100s of babies at a time. I have a pair right now in my 10 gallon tank.

It's pretty easy. You can look pictures up online to make it easier but generally males have a longer body and a long pointy dorsal fin. Females will have a rounder belly and the dorsal fin won't be as long.

Can I put comets or red Rosie's in to get the ph in balance?

I have no clue. But for my South Americans I put red Rosie's in for a week

Kribensis like the same pH as South American cichlids so I would do whatever works for your other tank.

If you are purchasing cichlids and hoping to have them breed, you really need to invest in a pH test kit of some kind, so you know what your pH actually is.

Got a ph reader today along with red Rosie's tap water is 7.6 tank is 8

Back
Top Bottom