Africans & Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Everyone

I to have always loved discus and was wondering if it was possible to keep discus with the africans? :rolleyes:

Thanx

No it is not. They are not compatible based on agression levels and more fundamentally, water requirements.

HN1
I knew it was a shot in the dark, but you don't know until you ask. I have plans on getting a 180 or 190 gal tank in the near future and am unable to decide to go salt or fresh.
What other species are compatible with Discus?

No worries at all. I kinda wish they were compatible myself. ;)

I've not been able to commit enough to keep discus because of the maintenance, but I did research them quite a bit before I decided against them. They should do ok with quite a few tetras (avoiding nippers like serpae, black skirts, etc.), and higher temp cories (sterbai), etc. I'm sure one of the seasoned discus keepers can advise further.

I keep my adult Discus with Cardinal Tetras!

InfernoST not only are the water requirements WAY different for Africans Cichlid's than Discus but even if that was not a problem the Africans Cichlid's are very aggressive fish who dart about a LOT moving very fast and Discus do not do well with fish that do that as it startles them and would cause them to hide and be stressed constantly.

Perhaps if you do a species specific tank with Africans Cichlids in your current tank setup and then when you get your 180 or 190 gal tank, Set it up for Discus then you can then enjoy both. (just a suggestion) BTW the Discus will love a tank that size.

In the meantime take advantage of the time between to study up about the requirements of both species of fish and you as well as your fish will have happier, healthier, lives.

Best of luck to you and your fish!

CTD
I figured it was very long shot from some of the research I've been doing. I'm definitely taking your advice and am doing as much research as possible prior to even getting the tank. Now that you mentioned that discus like a large tank should it also be tall?

Thanx

CTD
I figured it was very long shot from some of the research I've been doing. I'm definitely taking your advice and am doing as much research as possible prior to even getting the tank. Now that you mentioned that discus like a large tank should it also be tall?

Thanks
It does not have to be "outrageously" tall!

Discus as well as Angelfish are both tall bodied fish and would absolutely benefit from a bit of extra head room.

I personally prefer the 21" to 30" tall tanks the most with 24" being my favorite. Anything over that is simply a pain in the "Bohoncus" to clean, And as a matter of fact even a 30" can be at times (without some extra length tools).

Keep in mind You will need to clean the bottom often and you want to enjoy your fish so don't make your tank be difficult to keep clean it can just take the fun out of it.

IMHO taller tanks are much showier (<--- is that a word :confused:) and will show off your fish a bit better.

Best of luck to you as well as your present and future fish my friend.

It does not have to be "outrageously" tall!

Discus as well as Angelfish are both tall bodied fish and would absolutely benefit from a bit of extra head room.

I personally prefer the 21" to 30" tall tanks the most with 24" being my favorite. Anything over that is simply a pain in the "Bohoncus" to clean, And as a matter of fact even a 30" can be at times (without some extra length tools).

Keep in mind You will need to clean the bottom often and you want to enjoy your fish so don't make your tank be difficult to keep clean it can just take the fun out of it.

IMHO taller tanks are much showier (<--- is that a word :confused:) and will show off your fish a bit better.

Best of luck to you as well as your present and future fish my friend.
CTD
Thanks for the info and support. I myself like the 30" height range and did consider the cleaning aspect but the positives i think out weigh the negatives, 1st and foremost the height i believe will keep my 3 and 5 year old girls out of the tank. As far as maintenance and cleaning, I'll modify the tools needed for the specific jobs to suit my needs, I'm very handy.

Thanks again

There are some African fish, such as Kribensis, that can live peacefully and successfully with discus, but you most likely had your mind set on larger Africans.

There is no way that I would keep kribs in with discus. That has way too much potential to go very wrong (especially if either fish breeds).

There is no way that I would keep kribs in with discus. That has way too much potential to go very wrong (especially if either fish breeds).

It is very possible to keep them with discus and many have successfully. 'd be more worried about keeping ottos in a tank with discus than I would be with Kribs. I've heard more stories about ottos eating the slime coat off of discus than I have about Kribs and discus killing one another. I don't see how it would be any different than keeping blue rams or Bolivians with discus, which is also a common practice.

It is very possible to keep them with discus and many have successfully. 'd be more worried about keeping ottos in a tank with discus than I would be with Kribs. I've heard more stories about ottos eating the slime coat off of discus than I have about Kribs and discus killing one another. I don't see how it would be any different than keeping blue rams or Bolivians with discus, which is also a common practice.

I've never seen anyone do it successfully. I never said it wasn't possible, I stated that I would never do it. Nor have I ever seen or even read about otos eating slimecoat from discus. I'd love to see some actual firsthand accounts of that.

I've never seen anyone do it successfully. I never said it wasn't possible, I stated that I would never do it. Nor have I ever seen or even read about otos eating slimecoat from discus. I'd love to see some actual firsthand accounts of that.

Kribs: Kribensis and Discus? - SimplyDiscus

Bill and Ryan have lots of experience with discus and I'd take their word over any of the others that say Kribs won't work.

Another thread with kribs in the tank with discus: Planted 138G - SimplyDiscus

I didn't think kribs would work but I've seen many instances that I've changed my stance on it. I'd give it a try if I were interested in Kribs.

Otts: Oto's and discus? - SimplyDiscus

Post #7, Post #14 with picture of otto sucking on discus,#15, #18, and #20 all back up that ottos will eat the slime coat off of discus. That's just from one site too, I've seen more threads on other forums.

Back
Top Bottom