Africans and water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I am still somewhat new to this world, though I have to say in four short months I have been submeresed in reading everything I can get my hands on as well as reading through a ton of old threads on forums like these. There is obviously many opinions and many different ways experienced fish keepers go about keeping there aquariums.

My specific tank is a 120 gallon 4x2x2 stocked and filtered heavily with mostly Mbuna. I have about 27 Mbuna as well as a few haps in there and a Feather fin. this specific tank is only two weeks old now. From what I learned I was able to cycle this tank by heavily seeding it from my other tanks in six days.

Now I am trying to really get my routine down on maintenance and upkeep. Right now I am changing 30 % of the water about every five days. this is a routine that I can easily keep up on. I was going to start tonight doing a weekly chart of my nitrates to see exactly the effect it is having daily.

I really have only an open ended question specifically for African keepers. How often and how much do you change your water. What parameters do you mostly pay attention to...Also please note the size and stocking of your tank for me.

My other question I have is more vague. I've noticed there are quite a few very knowledgeable and very intelligent (certainly moreso than me) Hobbyists here. Would any of you have any suggestions on some really good books I could read on the Hobby and on Cichlids particularly. It would seem the more I learn and the more I do the more I want to learn and do. I already know I want to change out my 40 gallon peacefull community of mollies /tetras /cories and guppies and use it as a grow out tank for future cichlid fry I hope to be able to raise. I currently have a ten gallon (only a few guppies currently to keep it cycled) a 40g B , A 55 Gallon which I had my Africans in and now have restocked with Angel Fish. What would be a great breeding set up? If the female is holding, can a ten gallon be sufficient to hold her until she releases the fry and then move her to the fourty to recover and back to the 120, followed by the fry moving to the fourty once shes recovered? I think you get the gist..so just curious for thoughts from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself on these things....Especially the books you would recommend
Also do you guys know of any good Facebook groups where I could interact more iwth others

Well...when it comes to overstocked African cichlid tanks your water changes will primarily be about removing nitrates. If you do water changes consistently you can actually figure out pretty easily how much you need to remove. If you do water changes every 5 days than simply measure your nitrates right after a water change and than measure again 5 days later. Take the increase in nitrates and divide by your target nitrates and the result will be the amount of water you need to change. For example, if your tank increases 10ppm every 5 days and you would like nitrates to stay below 20ppm than 10/20 = 50%. Those numbers are just examples but you get the idea.

As for books, I can recommend a few.

"The Cichlid Aquarium" by Loiselle is a little dated but a true classic that is worth owning.

"Back to Nature: Guide to Malawi Cichlids" by Konings is probably the best book on Keeping malawian cichlids in captivity.

"The Cichlid Fishes: Nature's Grand Experiment In Evolution" by Barlow is not really about keeping fishes in captivity but is an excellent read.

Generally if you want to raise the young you will strip the fry from the female shortly before she is ready to release them. Keep in mind that she will forget they are her young in a pretty short period of time after releasing them. mbuna are about as bad parents as cichlids get.

Great , thank you for the response. That is an easy enough formula to follow , I'll try that this week and see how it goes. I've been trying to figure that one out. As for stripping the fry is that really necessary? couldn't I allow her to release them then switch her to another tank or no?

Is there one of those books you would reccomend to read first or any order will do. I'll definitely get one of them here tonight or tomorow. Usually once I start onto something that I'm this into i'll be a sponge and read everything there is that I can get my hands on lol.

It is not required to strip the fry but if you don't make sure you give the fry a place to hide from predation. Honestly, nearly all the people I know that raise mbuna strip the fry.

If you are primarily interested in african cichlids the Konings book is probably the best play to start.

Ok, Im not adverse to stripping them, its just something I have zeroe experience with or even a clue how to go about yet. Yeah mostly Cichlids but really any related topic that is accurate and a good read Ill be up for.

Having a 55 gallon with 15 mbunas in it, I change an average of 50-70% water every 5-6 days, every once in a while between water changes I vacuum the sand by siphoning water into a 5 gallon bucket . I tend to feed a bit more often since they are small (around 2 1/2 inches) so I feel they need more frequent water changes.

thats on par with a lot of what I've read...I hadnt thought of going over 50% though. I usually do 40% on 55 every week, but now changing on this 120 its alot more work so I'd like to make sure Im working smarter and not harder. I have a tendency to over feed sometimes to, not on purpose but I ve caught myself doing it. Especially on days Im home all day. a little extra snack here and there seems to add up...but I'll admit when 30 cichlids rush to the front of the tank and follow my every move thats hard to not give them a little something lol

Got a picture of your tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sure do :)

Attachments

• 10411303_597084833733823_2668976984173326112_n (1).jpg
    10411303_597084833733823_2668976984173326112_n (1).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 10675676_597084847067155_458629951467892208_n.jpg
    10675676_597084847067155_458629951467892208_n.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 1622864_597084920400481_7598934039725232388_n.jpg
    1622864_597084920400481_7598934039725232388_n.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 10703517_597084860400487_4390092894771209851_n.jpg
    10703517_597084860400487_4390092894771209851_n.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 84
Nice! Is that a piece of driftwood? I've been contemplating driftwood in my Mbuna tank, got some really hard, heavy driftwood I can use.
Thanks for posting pics!

Nice! Is that a piece of driftwood? I've been contemplating driftwood in my Mbuna tank, got some really hard, heavy driftwood I can use.
Thanks for posting pics!

Yeah I wasn't going to use any but that piece was to hard to resist. I have been keeping an eye on my ph and it's been a rock steady 8.2.

Best Malawi Cichlid books

Thats what I entered into the search field, this is the thread I was taken to. So I am going to bump this thread once, and see if any more recommendations are added in.

Loiselle's book is down right cheap on Amazon, four bucks for a used copy in good to very good condition.

Konings 2003 edtion is an Amazon Prime book. I should get it in just a few days!

edit: oh, and I have a push button water change system. I do 30% twice a week, nitrates holding at 5 ppm or below for the first week as a 55 gal cichlid tank with 7 medium yellow labs and (now down to) 7 small demasoni.
Thanks!

For practical information about care of malawi cichlids in the aquarium. Koenigs, back to nature book is the best.

Malawi cichlids in their natural habitat, also by Koenigs is also an excellent book but is not focused on care in aquaria as the other one is.

There are similar books for Tanganyikan cichlids from the same author that are also excellent.

Back
Top Bottom