Aggressive Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ram that just about took the tail off a guppy I tried to add. The guppy is safe in his own tank now, but I am afraid to add anyone else to the tank because of the ram.

LFS suggested putting in another ram to calm the first one down. They have some gold ones I might try if I wanted. Good idea? Bad idea? Does it matter that my current ram is older and the new one would be pretty small? Is it better to have two blues? Or, just leave well enough alone as long as I have the ram that caused trouble?

I have a ram that just about took the tail off a guppy I tried to add. The guppy is safe in his own tank now, but I am afraid to add anyone else to the tank because of the ram.

LFS suggested putting in another ram to calm the first one down. They have some gold ones I might try if I wanted. Good idea? Bad idea? Does it matter that my current ram is older and the new one would be pretty small? Is it better to have two blues? Or, just leave well enough alone as long as I have the ram that caused trouble?
To start with, I think rams and Guppies make a BAD combo (IMO)for exactly the reason your Guppy is now tailless. That being said, there are a number of questions that need to be answered before a percise answer to your questions can be given: Tank size, other fish in the aquarium, decorations,....
The most logical guess at this point would be that the Ram was defending his territory from the Guppy so the way to add another fish would be to rearrange the tank just prior to adding any new fish so that everybody needs to declare a territory and noone has one staked out already. As for mixing the colors of rams, all the colors now available originated from Blue Rams so it doesn't really matter. What does matter is the size. It is not a good idea to put a smaller ram into a tank with an established larger ram unless you are positive that they are of different genders. By doing this, you raise the potential positive outcome to 50-50.
Supply the other answers and hopefuly we can give you a better answer and plan (y)

I am sure you will tell me not to do it with the rest of the info. I have a 10 gallon tank with a sailfin dalamation molly (about 3 inches) and rosy barb (about 2 1/2 inches) with the blue ram (1 1/2 inches). The rosy barb is a mild bully as well, but never really hurt anyone after pushing them around for a few days. The kicker is that I do keep my water pretty good at less than 10 nitrates. The last LFS test was less than 10. I think that buys me some consideration for breaking the rules on what can go in a 10 gallon. My bigger concern is getting something that is going to get shredded. But the LFS talked like another ram might be a good thing, male or female. I am not so sure, so I ask here. I feed lightly, change H20 regularly, and watch daily. But I don't know if that is enough to take the risk on another ram, blue or otherwise. After what he did to the guppy I don't even know that I want to try anything, but I don't particularly like the idea of having to wait for the ram to die before I get another fish. I waited a long time to get him and I want him to live. With him in there, even getting a bigger tank (which I don't really want to do) would not necessarily solve my issue.

I wouldnt reccomend getting another ram. Rams in a pair should be by themselves in a 20 gallon minimum! try re-arranging the tank on your next water change. Also when your doing this, try taking the ram out while re-arranging. I know someone will chime in with more knowledge......but thats just my opinion......i have 4 rams with 2 kribensis in a 55......

A 10g is too small for Rams of any kind. Mollies also are too big and need more swimming space. Mollies are definitely poop machines. Barbs need schools to defer their aggression.

I'd recommend getting a larger tank if you're able to, even tho you don't really want to. Or if you're unable to get a larger tank, I'd recommend rehoming your current fish and getting something smaller suitable for a 10g tank. We all would be more than happy to help you.

I started out this hobby with a very overstocked 10g tank, mollies included... I had to upgrade fairly quickly... I now have 29g, 20g and 10g tanks...

Definately don't add another Ram to a tank that size, the two of them will be fighting constantly until one dies.

Thanks all! I will stick with what I have since they get along, but won't add any more. Maybe next spring or summer I will be able to look at a larger tank.

Thanks all! I will stick with what I have since they get along, but won't add any more. Maybe next spring or summer I will be able to look at a larger tank.

I believe you've made a good choice here (y)

For what it's worth, (and I know I'M going to get bashed for MY OPINION/EXPERIENCES:facepalm:) the issue here is not gallonage but of space. ( For example, a 20 extra high holds about 18 gals of water but is the same length and width as a 10 gal tank so you really haven't solved a space issue with more water. This is why the gallons aren't as important as the space.) I used multiple 10 Gal tanks to breed my Rams and they did just fine HOWEVER, I set them up where the fish were by themselves and not in need of dither fishes.

Whenever you are dealing with Cichlid fishes, you want to keep the sizes relatively similar for the saftey of the smaller fish. In your case, adding a smaller ram to a tank with a bigger ram is a questionable idea and your LFS recommending this might not fully have appreciated the conditions the fish would be being added to or, unfortunately for their customers, not really have a good grasp of proper fish keeping or fish psychology (IMO :banghead:)

When (or if) you do upgrade, try to put in your second ram at that same time you introduce the larger fish (using the sexing guidlines I outlined in my previous post) to have the best chance of them cohabitating peacefully.

Hope this helps...(y)

Question: If I were to get a 20 gallon extra high (same footprint as standard 10) what would that do to my prospects of having the rams? More water is better water, but my water is good now. More vertical swimming space, but still not much horizontal. This is one tank I am considering because it would fit our house well.

Question: If I were to get a 20 gallon extra high (same footprint as standard 10) what would that do to my prospects of having the rams? More water is better water, but my water is good now. More vertical swimming space, but still not much horizontal. This is one tank I am considering because it would fit our house well.

I think you misunderstood ;) The problem with your situation is the amount of area (a.k.a Elbow Room) your rams have to build a home. The water quality isn't the issue either. The best water quality wouldn't change the fact that they don't have enough room to build separate homes for themselves without infringing on the other's home. A tank of longer length and wider width is necessary for your situation. The height is of least importance followed by the gallonage. The gallonage is also of lesser importance than the "Elbow Room."

I hope this better explained your situation (y)

I understand. I was just confirming what I was figuring out. The 20 extra high doesn't buy me much. Better to get a standard shaped tank with more swimming room.

Well, I won't be getting anything new anytime soon. Would love to, but have two little ones to pay for.

Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom