Airstone - yeah or ney?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new so sorry for the dumb questions ;) I got my tank used and it came with boxes of supplies. In the boxes are several pumps and airstones. I didn't use them initially and wanted to check if I should use them or no? Do they do anything beneficial? Good or bad for Africans? I have 2 HOB filters with plenty of water movement so oxygen isn't an issue.

Thanks.

I don't use them. They can be just for looks or surface agitation. My fish do fine without them. It is a personal preference.

I use them. I like the looks of them. I use two. One in the center an one on the right corner. If a filter fails I read that it can help for a while. But I believe mostly for looks.

If placed in the corner of the tank, near the bottom, they create an updraft in the water and help tank circulation. Also, if you have any sort of film on top of the water, add one! The layer of film inhibits oxygen exchange...

I like them, I've always thought they were very pretty. They can be helpful in some instances, like when you have to raise the temperature of the water for a treatment.

Absolutly, I like the way they look and you want more oxygen dissolved in your water. In my opinion there is no downside to them.

I added some flex bubble wands to make a cool curtain look in the tank. I thought it was awesome.. my fish hated it & avoided it like the plague lol put it in the back so it doesnt bother their swimming area & it'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom