Albino oscar help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Nick_

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought this Albino Oscar and when I turn the aquarium light on it sit on it's side at the bottom like it's fit to die but when it's off he swims around happy why is that im new to oscars fish

Prob pouting... How long have you had it? I got mine a few weeks ago the tiger o after about 12 hours was exploring... The red albino took several days.... Both now have grown alot and know feeding time and beg.... What are your water parameters??? Oscars are sensitive to Hlle and water conditions as well...

Ive got them 12 hours ago my water is fine Its just when I turn the light on the albino oscar goes crazy and goes to the bottom but when the light is on he find swimming around eating I've read on google bout this problem they say they have bad eye sight and and they just need time to get use to the tank idk but this is weird

Give it time, they are personable and will pout too. Mine have really grown and come around in the last 2 weeks I've had them. By far not my first fish but learnt alot from here before I got them, knowin I could safely house them as adults. (90 g grow out, they are about 3 inches will go to my 14o which has mbuna juvies I'm waiting to be able to sex and swap to 90)

Maybe leave the lights off a few days? I'll leave them off a day or 2 when adding to other tanks....

K thanks right now he is happy that the lights are off he swimming around fine

I've had 8 Oscars in the past, 3 of which were Albino, and they all ( the albinos ) kind of did the sane thing, for a few days at least. One in particular really did have a hard time seeing, so I think he will be ok. Just needs some adjusting time :)

Try turning on a light in your house for 10 minutes before you turn the tank on. I do that so I don't scare my discus. It will give them time to adjust to the light.

can i please ask how long the fish will be in this tank? its 19 gallons too small.

oscars are stunning and loyal companions and dont deserve what people can put them through. im not saying your tank is hideously small, but when it gets 6-8in it should start to stunt in there, which seriously harms the fish as the insides keep growing... :(

Back
Top Bottom