Algae and Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcm87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the past month I have gone through 2 Plecos. Seems like my Africans keep picking on them. I am getting a ton of algae, but what can I do. Any suggestions besides scrubbing??

Thanks

Snails? Flying Fox? Chinese Algae Eaters. Though I don't like CAEs much in most tanks, they can fend for themselves, and LOVE algae. How big is the tank (they grow to 10 inches)? They'd be a little plain, but they'd do the trick. Flying foxes generally stay to themselves, and don't get harrassed, either. They might be recommenable (6" max).

Also, if your algae problem is filamentous, M'buna Malawi Cichlids will eat it (aufwuchs is the term used for their usual diet in the wild, which consists of algae species, small plants, tiny limpit-like creatures, which they tear off rocks). E.G. Labidochromis caeruleus, Melanochromis spp. etc. Look them up on www.malawicichlids.com if you're interested. M'bunas are one of the categories on the home page.

The problem with the more recognized and readily available alage eaters is the fact that the vast majority won't do well in a properly set up (high pH and hardness levels) African tank.

I have similar trouble in one of my African aquariums and found a few things to help control the algae- although I haven't been able to completely rid the tank of it. 1. Regular water changes. This helps curb the high levels of nitrates and dissolved organics that build up in the water, which aid in algae growth. 2. Adding live plants to the tank. Java fern and java moss do quite well in high pH water and will soak up nutrients in the water.

Some other points to think about: are you getting enough filtration/water circulation? Are you overfeeding? Are you leaving the lights on too long during the day?

Yes, in the case of Africans, I'd recommend lowering the pH a tiny bit from the usual 7.8-9 to perhaps 7.5 to accomodate the CAEs. I know it seems like blasphemy to even suggest the idea, but fish can live slightly outside their normal pH limit if they're eased into their new env. For example, most neon tetras survive at 7.0-7.4 in petstores, whereas they really live in quite acidic waters in the 5-7 range.

I had a pleco in with my africans for years, one of the things you have to do when it comes to pleco's and africans is size ratio. When i introduced my pleco to the tank i made sure that he was bigger than the africans and that way he could cope with them and there aggression with no problems.
How big are your africans and how big was your pleco's. I had my pleco for 14 yrs, but i don't know how old he was when i got him. And he spent most of his life in with the africans. Sadly he has passed away now, but it was through old age he died not the africans.

Why not find out what's causing the algea problem? What type of algea is it? Are you over feeding or leaving the lights on to long. Is your tank overstocked and not getting enough fistration?

The problem with adding a Chinese algae eater to the system (other than having to alter the system's chemistry- which is a bad idea IMO), is the fact that an algae eater will quickly grow into a fairly large, rather aggressive fish that DOESN'T eat algae.

My algae problem was helped by the addition of live plants and reducing the amount of time the tank lights were on. Like Davoz said, it's better to find out WHAT is causing the algae, rather than attempting a quick fix (like adding an algae eater). :D

Well, Voodoo Chili, I've given the advice you gave many times myself. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to curb an algae problem that easily. Algae will usually grow (in at least small amounts) in a tank even if you're quite consciencious about water changes and light levels. I've taken my plecos out of my 55 (20% every Sat change with Gravel vac), and have many a time tried underfeeding my fish by a large amount (every 2nd day or so), and reducing light, but still have a bit of algae. I clean it when I see it.

An algae eater may seem like a quick fix, but if used correctly, they can be an important part of the tank ecosystem. Algae is, after all, natural. I'd tend to agree most with Terry, though. I think an algae eater that is larger than the cichlids could do a good job of algae management.

I am sure the problem is the light being on too long. Obviously the fish look better with it on. My africans hace been completely fine at 7.0PH. Is this bad for the Africans?

No. The africans will do just fine with 7.0 ph. They will prefer higher but its not going to hurt them in the long fun. You'll find that most breeders and lfs keep them in normal 7ph tanks. They'll adjust fine, though maybe not as happy as 8.0

African cichlids will in general leave a mid-sized common pleco alone. I've only seen one ever dare nip at my 9 in common pleco, and that fish has actually be removed from the tank due to heavy aggression towards all of the others.

Back
Top Bottom