Algae control/LED light advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well hello! Its been about a year since ive been on here, a member for at least 8 years!

I have recently moved about 10 hours and had to sell off my 5 generation african cichlid friends. Im starting up the same tank and going with the same species. 60 gal tall tank with African cichlids.

The spot i have the tank in receives a lot of sunlight in the morning and i know thats the cause of all that greenish brown algea bloom on all my decorations and filters and such. I dont mind the algae on the back window as ive painted it black and i know the fish like to nibble on it a bit but i do mind it all over everything. The water is clear and not green and everything else is fine but whats the cheapest most effective way to control the growth? Ive owned a UV filter in my past but never used it as i didnt have this issue. Would that be the resolution?

Also i got the LED sticks that marineland makes and wasnt sure if it came with 2 stick per pack or not so i purchased 2. They each came with 2 sticks. So me being me, i put all 4 in today and i like it as it shows off just a bit more than usual. Is there a limit to how much light per tank? I figure since its not planted thats theres not too much of an issue. Theres still plenty of spaces and shadows for the fish to hide in so territory isnt an issue but is there any way this would effect the fish?

Thanks in advance my fish family!1483153569338.jpg1483153577790.jpg

Perhaps can you block the sunlight in the morning? I try to make sure curtains are closed (everyone else forgets). Also I've put aquarium backing on one side of tank as well that gets a lot of sunlight.

You could try a uv unit but if it is spreading across the ornaments it may at best slow it down.

Back
Top Bottom