algea eater with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had a CAE in with my yellow labs and peacocks for a couple of years or so. However, my L260 Queen Arabesque pleco did not fair so well.

I got a Syno eupterus with convicts clown loaches and jewel cichlids all introduced closely together. Dojo loaches are okay but are kinda fat... My big oscar is pretty passive in the 50g think I can introduce him to 2 dojo loaches?

well i put an cae in and it started cleaning right away it wasaswome till my dominant lab came after it. should i keep it in or move it to my 10 gallon.

Your dominant lab is more than likely just showing who's the man in the tank. I would just leave them be in the tank together. Watch them for a few, but leave them be.

alright i just going to blackout the tank for a day or 2 it worked last time when i was intruducing a lab fry.

Just wondering if you got the 'algae eater' because you liked them or because your having trouble with algae?
If the latter, you may want to look more into eliminating the cause rather then trying to battle it.

i got it because of algea problems.how would i elimanate it ? the wierd part is its only on part of the back wall and like 5 rocks out of like 20.

I have a CAE with my cichlids, he's 7" now. I also have a striped raphael catfish and have had commons in the past with no troubles.

excessive light, nitrates, decaying plant matter.
most likely light natural light is hitting certain parts of the tank by the sounds of it.

well i have no plants in the tank i have the lights on for about 7 to 8 hours a day and it only gets a bit of natrual light so im guessing its nirates and natural light suggestions to get rid of ascessive nirates.

Limited feeding, more pwc, if you can move it out of direct sunlight altogether and limit your hours per day of lighting to only when you need it.
Unfortunatly moving it isn't always an option,
Just thought I would suggest it, thats all.

Matt

ryan said:
how big do the cea get mine is about 3 1/2 inches also what size tank should they have.

They get fairly large. In most LFS they're usually 4" or less in size, but full grown they approach a foot in length.

I personally think bristlenose/bushynose plecos are lot more effective at algae consumption and they max out at about 5".

bristlenose/bushynose plecos are lot more effective at algae consumption and they max out at about 5".
BN pleco's are definitely much better at keping the tank clean. CAE's do get aggressive when they get larger. They have a nasty habit of sucking the slime coat off of other fish. Large, aggressive fish aren't a problem, they keep the CAE's in their place. Still, they're generally more trouble then useful.

Back
Top Bottom