Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Almost instant change in convicts

Well, my two convicts have just moved from their 10G to their new 30G this morning. They were often pretty pale in the 10G, with the occasional time when their stripes would deepen. After about 30 seconds in the new tank, they were the deep black and grey that I normally see in pictures.

Question - Can I take this change in color as a good thing? Maybe that their water conditions are a bit more to their liking (80 deg., 7.0ish pH)?

I'm guessing they'll be hiding out for the weekend as they get used to their new pad, but I'm hoping they'll like it.

PS - It's REALLY interesting to try finding a deep black convict against a black diamond sand substrate! Where's Waldo just hit my fishtank.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychean View Post
Well, my two convicts have just moved from their 10G to their new 30G this morning. They were often pretty pale in the 10G, with the occasional time when their stripes would deepen. After about 30 seconds in the new tank, they were the deep black and grey that I normally see in pictures.

Question - Can I take this change in color as a good thing? Maybe that their water conditions are a bit more to their liking (80 deg., 7.0ish pH)?

I'm guessing they'll be hiding out for the weekend as they get used to their new pad, but I'm hoping they'll like it.

PS - It's REALLY interesting to try finding a deep black convict against a black diamond sand substrate! Where's Waldo just hit my fishtank.
It's probably just the stress of being moved that caused them to show such bold colors. It could also be related to them getting territorial with each other over their new surroundings and the process of claiming territory.

You can expect them to keep these dark colors as they mature. Mine was very pale until about 6 months.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, convict, convicts, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com