Altum Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone else keep these? I picked up four a week ago. One died after two days but the other three are doing good. I've noticed some quirkiness with them that are different from the normal angels I have. They aren't as aggressive with eating (they don't shoot to the surface as soon as they see me) and even at such a small size, I'm seeing aggression between them. (bodies are about nickle size) I've added plants to their QT and that seems to have helped. Well, if anyone here has experience in keeping these fish and can lend some advice, your comments are welcome. :D

I have a book that says altum are more beautiful and more delicate than regular angelfish. In your pics one of them looks like its eye is cloudy, or was that just the flash? Other than that very pretty!

Nah, that's just my crappy photography. Other than the one having a little tear in the dorsal fin, they are perfect.

I have one of those, although i notice sometimes its stripes are brighter than at other times. I have a feeling He/she may be half breed of the true strain, although it has the right number of stripes, they are sometiems not as bright as when i first bought him/her.

AshleyNicole,
Yeah, mine were very pale and had no bars unless they were picking on each other. But, since I've added plants, they seem to be more relaxed and are carrying the bars all the time.

Thanks Jchillin. :D

The altums are the ones that can be kept with discus right ? :?

Cant offer any advice, only jealousy :wink:

Hope they live a long time for you. If I get angels, those are the ones I would love to have.

I believe they have wild caught ones available on liveaquaria jchillin. Last time I looked they were 30 bucks a piece.

No problem. I know liveaquaria used to sell them but when I searched them recently, they are no longer available. Has that changed? I'll have to have a looksee.

My fish are supposed to be captive bred. The sales girl said it was someone local who bred them.

I would assume that they would be more sensitve to water peramiters then the average angelfish.. Im thinking if someone local was breeding them they likely imitated the natural water conditions to get the wilds to spawn..
It sounds like you might have a lead to the breeder though.. Maybe you could contact them and find out what water conditions the fish were raised in... I can only assume that could help you out.. :mrgreen:

I doubt the lfs is gonna give me the name, or any information like a phone number so I can contact their source. Even if there weren't privacy issues, they'd be kinda cutting their throats. :p

Well then.. maybe the LFS could contact the breeder with a list of your questions? I have no clue of other peoples social engneering skills, mine are pretty good..LOL

There are several breeders online I may contact. The lfs I got these from is almost 3hrs from me. If I were to try to get breeder info, I'd want to do it in person where they couldn't keep putting me off. And goin in every day to bug them or to get updates isn't an option. I doubt they will hold my number and be a middle man for me with their breeder. They are just way to busy for that. Anyone who's ever been to That Fish Place would know what I mean. I was hoping to find others on AA who have kept these fish. But, thanks for the suggestion.

It comptely sliped my mind that two of my old angles looked just like those! 8O
The water was very soft were I was living at the time though.. They did very well, I gave them to the people I was staying with when I moved (I didnt think they would survive the move and the water quality change to were I was moving to) They were about 6" long when I left. I had marble angels living with them and they seemed to pair off but hadnt done anything by the time I left them.. If I remember right the KH was down around 4-5 but I didnt have a way of testing conductivity.. This was 9-10 years ago so Im not going to swear to any numbers..LOL

just looking at mine and i noticed he/she is really bright right now... but during feeding the stripes get brighter, im trying to figure out what makes him go pale.. i think im going to keep a log of his colors and see if i can find a pattern

Back
Top Bottom