Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Am toying with a cichlid tank...help please

After much discussion with the other half we have decided to get another tank (I already have a 100l community planted tank).. Am planning on getting a 210l (90cm would be maximum width we could fit in unfortunately ) and was toying with setting up for cichlids as it would be nice to have 2 very different tanks...

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as what fish would be good for this size tank - would like a bright colourful tank if possible and more statement fish rather than shoals - is this possible? Have heard so much conflicting advice my head is spinning !

So basically was just wondering what you guys would do so I can hopefully get some inspiration

Cheers
A x

Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm very much a "the new guy" myself so keep that in mind....
I like South African cichlids and I think for that size tank (US 55) you would probably be better off with mbuna since I believe they are smaller than peacocks/haps.

Cichlids come from different countries and cant be mixed. For example South Africa has three lakes that they come from and each has its own unique environment.

Good luck and welcome to AA

Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cheers for that - yep understood that can't keep cichlids from different areas together - just not sure whether to stick to one area or maybe do a larger community with more robust fish and either a pair of apistos or rams....

Still it's nice to have options...

Were even considering a marine tank but all seems a bit scary lol
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am also a new guy but have learned a lot from this site. If you did south a big south American or central American fish you could only have one. i would personally not do apistos for a US 55 they can be kept in a pair in a US 29.if any check out the Africans the color is great, personality great and they are very active fish that differ in size.

welcome to the AA
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yep quite liked the Africans as well - just not sure what would mix and how many etc...

Have seen some lovely cichlid tanks and I love the idea of their different personalities...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

im not sure on how many but im sure some one will answer your questions to lower aggression you would have to stock the one specie 1m:4f and i believe you will be able to choose a couple of species. make sure you do your home work before choosing a specie. good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #7

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accashak View Post
Yep quite liked the Africans as well - just not sure what would mix and how many etc...

Have seen some lovely cichlid tanks and I love the idea of their different personalities...
Heres a quick guide of species selection by tank size, this is a great forum but those guys in the African section know it all.

Aquarium Quick Reference Resources - Cichlid Keeping

Tags
cichlid, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com