American cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my30G

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning my fellow fish lovers
I'm new
I wanted to do an all American cichlids tank by my tank maybe too small
I have a 30G
36 inches long
What other American cichlids can I get beside my keyhole cichlids

How many keyhole in there? Depending.. bolivians rams and certain apistogramma could work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently have 2
Was planning to get 2 more
Thanks
I'll look at the apistogramma
How many rams you think I could get
Only 1 male?

If you get 2 more keyhole cichlids, I wouldn't add anything to the tank after that. $ will be about your capacity. If you decide to stay with 2, you could get a trio of rams (1m, 2f), or, as Brookster said, a trio of many Apistogramma species. Check them out. There are many cool Apistos. Many are fairly peaceful, and would do well with your keyholes.

I just saw your other thread, that pleco may need to go..how long have you had him? Where did you get it?

If you get 2 more keyhole cichlids, I wouldn't add anything to the tank after that. $ will be about your capacity. If you decide to stay with 2, you could get a trio of rams (1m, 2f), or, as Brookster said, a trio of many Apistogramma species. Check them out. There are many cool Apistos. Many are fairly peaceful, and would do well with your keyholes.

Really. You mean I'm overstock with 4 keyholes
And I will check it out

I just saw your other thread, that pleco may need to go..how long have you had him? Where did you get it?
Really. Why I need to get rid of him
I only had him for -l a week
I got him from a fish store

You know what kind? Some plecos get massive, there are really only a handful suitable for a 30 gal tank.

Sorry I don't know what kind
And I know
Some get about a ft or two

I know it isn't consider an American cichlids but I might be get a male dwarf gourami
Their so colorful
I prefer a fish that would get to be about 3 or 4 inches

Sorry I don't know what kind
And I know
Some get about a ft or two

Attach a picture of the pleco so we can identify it, or describe it. Picture are always going to be more accurate however.

I know it isn't consider an American cichlids but I might be get a male dwarf gourami
Their so colorful
I prefer a fish that would get to be about 3 or 4 inches

You *could* get a Gourami, they're peaceful for the most part but youd be breaking away from an American cichlid tank remember.
Youre limited with size of fish and their numbers in a tank like a 30g.

Attach a picture of the pleco so we can identify it, or describe it. Picture are always going to be more accurate however.

You *could* get a Gourami, they're peaceful for the most part but youd be breaking away from an American cichlid tank remember.
Youre limited with size of fish and their numbers in a tank like a 30g.

Lol yes I know that lol
But hopefully I'll get a bigger tank for the living room.
But yes I was told that I could get 4 keyhole cichlids
1 male gourami
2 females gourami(they are hard to find)
20 rasbora
But I think want to change my stock
IMG_8400.JPGIMG_8394.jpgIMG_8391.jpg

your tank is pretty small. most of the issues are related to the need for territories. while small and peaceful, your keyholes and whatever dwarf cichlids you pick are going to get territorially crowded.
my advice, feature your keyholes and use small tetras and such as dither. T-bones and Cardinals make nice dither for a small cichlid tank. I'd skip the gourami, they're colorful, but they'll detract from your keyholes, otherwise it becomes a dwarf gourami tank with a couple Keyholes in it.

Back
Top Bottom