Amount of substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I ve got a group of cichlids in a 125 litre tank. I ve got about 6 cm of substrate across the tank. Is that too much. I ve been told bacteria could grow at the bottom. Is this true.

You want Beneficial Bacteria to grow in your substrate. If it's a sandy substrate, what can happen is sand at the bottom creates pore spaces that become oxygen poor which can lead to anoxic conditions ... not good.

However if you have a more gravel substrate ... 6cm (about 2 1/2 - 3 inches) should be fine to allow water flow promoting BB.

jcolon said:
You want Beneficial Bacteria to grow in your substrate. If it's a sandy substrate, what can happen is sand at the bottom creates pore spaces that become oxygen poor which can lead to anoxic conditions ... not good.

However if you have a more gravel substrate ... 6cm (about 2 1/2 - 3 inches) should be fine to allow water flow promoting BB.

I ve got coral sand. What would you recommend.

Mogurako said:
What species? That tank is pretty small for african cichlids I hope you are planning on upgrading soon.

I ve got aulonocara s. Will upgrade eventually… finance permitting.

Spoor3773 said:
I ve got aulonocara s. Will upgrade eventually… finance permitting.

Very good would like to see pictures when you do!

jcolon said:
If it's a sandy substrate, what can happen is sand at the bottom creates pore spaces that become oxygen poor which can lead to anoxic conditions.

Anoxic gases in sand has been talked about allot on this forum and many of the members have confirmed that the chances of that happening in a home aquarium are very slim. I believe MR. Limpet did a ton of research and only found one case of this happening. So really there's only a .0000001% chance that could even happen.

Mogurako said:
Very good would like to see pictures when you do!

Anoxic gases in sand has been talked about allot on this forum and many of the members have confirmed that the chances of that happening in a home aquarium are very slim. I believe MR. Limpet did a ton of research and only found one case of this happening. So really there's only a .0000001% chance that could even happen.

So I should nt worry then is that what your saying.

Back
Top Bottom