Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Angel fish

Would a angel fish be ok in a 40 gal tank. What other fish could i put in here safely with him/her.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The boring name View Post
Would a angel fish be ok in a 40 gal tank. What other fish could i put in here safely with him/her.
A 40 gallon tall would be more ideal than a 40 gallon breeder, as angels are tall fish, but any 40 gallon is fine for angels.

There are too many compatible fish to list. Angels often have issues with gouramis as they share a similar space in the tank so try to avoid those. You can add bottom dwelling dwarf cichlids like kribensis, german blue, or bolivian rams, apistogramma, checkerboard cichlids, laetacara species, etc.

You can also add larger tetras or barbs. Avoid fish that fit in the angel's mouth. They eat small fish and invertebrates in the wild. Same goes for tiny shrimp.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so I guess neons are out of the question, would tiger barbs work. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Ok so I guess neons are out of the question, would tiger barbs work. Thanks for the reply.
No tiger barbs. They are aggressive and often nip trailing, long fins like what you get on angelfish.

Odessa barbs would probably be ok, or pentazona barbs, cherry barbs, etc.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks. Would silver hatchet fish be a good choice and Cory's? Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I put a angel in my 40G breeder with fully grown neons, and it worked out fine. But it might not for everyone, just make sure you have the neons In the tank first.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Ok thanks. Would silver hatchet fish be a good choice and Cory's? Thanks for all the help.
That ought to be fine. Maybe add a bushynose or clown pleco for looks.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok sounds great thanks for the replys. One last thing how many angels can go in a 40 gal?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A pair, but you can start off with a group of juveniles and just rehome the extras when a pair forms. They'll make it pretty obvious when that happens.

I agree with the above suggestions except maybe for the checkerboard cichlid... Dicrossus species can be fairly difficult to keep alive and are pretty shy and retiring. Angels typically become pretty boisterous the more size they get on them, so it's probably not a match I'd try in a 40 gallon.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks, so I guess I go with two angels about 4-5 Cory's 5 rosey barbs, 5 hatchet fish and maybe a few hi-fin platys. When I'm fully stocked. Would this be a good stock for the 40 gal?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok thanks, so I guess I go with two angels about 4-5 Cory's 5 rosey barbs, 5 hatchet fish and maybe a few hi-fin platys. When I'm fully stocked. Would this be a good stock for the 40 gal?
That's fine. Corys prefer to be in groups of 6-7 or more. I don't know about 3 schools of fish in the water column + the angels. That's going to be a little crowded. Maybe just the barbs and the platys? The platys will provide a good food source in the form of fry. Angels really like snacking on tiny fish and their hunting behavior is fun to watch. Definitely don't expect any platy offspring to make it to adult size. They'll have maybe a day or two to live before they get snacked on.

Tags
angel, angel fish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com