Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would a angel fish be ok in a 40 gal tank. What other fish could i put in here safely with him/her.

A 40 gallon tall would be more ideal than a 40 gallon breeder, as angels are tall fish, but any 40 gallon is fine for angels.

There are too many compatible fish to list. Angels often have issues with gouramis as they share a similar space in the tank so try to avoid those. You can add bottom dwelling dwarf cichlids like kribensis, german blue, or bolivian rams, apistogramma, checkerboard cichlids, laetacara species, etc.

You can also add larger tetras or barbs. Avoid fish that fit in the angel's mouth. They eat small fish and invertebrates in the wild. Same goes for tiny shrimp.

I put a angel in my 40G breeder with fully grown neons, and it worked out fine. But it might not for everyone, just make sure you have the neons In the tank first.

A pair, but you can start off with a group of juveniles and just rehome the extras when a pair forms. They'll make it pretty obvious when that happens. ;)

I agree with the above suggestions except maybe for the checkerboard cichlid... Dicrossus species can be fairly difficult to keep alive and are pretty shy and retiring. Angels typically become pretty boisterous the more size they get on them, so it's probably not a match I'd try in a 40 gallon.

Ok thanks, so I guess I go with two angels about 4-5 Cory's 5 rosey barbs, 5 hatchet fish and maybe a few hi-fin platys. When I'm fully stocked. Would this be a good stock for the 40 gal?

Ok thanks, so I guess I go with two angels about 4-5 Cory's 5 rosey barbs, 5 hatchet fish and maybe a few hi-fin platys. When I'm fully stocked. Would this be a good stock for the 40 gal?

That's fine. Corys prefer to be in groups of 6-7 or more. I don't know about 3 schools of fish in the water column + the angels. That's going to be a little crowded. Maybe just the barbs and the platys? The platys will provide a good food source in the form of fry. Angels really like snacking on tiny fish and their hunting behavior is fun to watch. Definitely don't expect any platy offspring to make it to adult size. They'll have maybe a day or two to live before they get snacked on.

Back
Top Bottom