Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now that I have successfully moved all the koi outdoors, I thought i'd move my 3 Angel fish to the 125gal aquarium.
They just love their bigger home :)
Now...
I want to add a few more fish to this tank as the angels seen to get lost.
Whats a good mate? More angels?
I really like these fish alot because they get all excited when I approach the tank. Their fin's start to move 100 miles an hour, and they will follow my fingers where ever I put them on the tank. It's cute :mrgreen:

So if you could suggest something compatable, i'd really appreciate it.
you guys know your fish!!
Thanks

WOW, 125 gallon tank. I say get 50 neon tetras! They would not get lost! They will school together and it would be soooo cool. What are you going to do next winter when the koi need to come back in?

At the Barnes & Noble bookstore in Inner Harbor Baltimore Md. has a huge amazon themed tank. They have hundreds of tetras of all types. They have a lot of angels. There were also a few neat plecos. The tank was heavely planted. I have some pics of it, I'll see if I can scan them for ya.

As a neon lover, it would be increadable to see a school of 50. I can just imagine going to my local fish store, the guy asks how many, and I say 50.

I keep pearl and dwarf gouramis with my angels. They get along great and I really like to watch them "check stuff out" with their feelers. I also have clown loaches and guppies in the tank and they all get along great.

Seems everyone likes neon tetra's (can I ask why?)
I had the angels in my my Danio's/Jumbo danio's but now that the koi are out, they got a new home.
d9hp~ This winter , my beloved hubby is going to build me a 1000 gal pond in the basement. All the fish will come indoors for the winter(last year was brutal)

I think i'm off to the petshop today to buy me a Mother's day gift :mrgreen:
Thanks gang!!

Angels fish prey on neon in the wild.
I don't think its a good Idea,
I agree with dwarf gouramis as i kept them aswell.

Goodluck.

Chris.

Neons make wonderful snack food? j/k

Anyway, silver dollars get quite large and are pretty. If you want color and flash, I would go with Rosy barbs, mine started out from the store at 1/2 inch long and are now 3 inches long, beautiful flashes of red constant activity in the 150. I would also recommend an assortment of cory cats. If you want expenisve fish, discus and angels do quite well in a tank together. That is what I haave and it is beautiful...the discus are also a "people" fish, they tend to follow me from one side of the room to the other, they do recognize different people as they only do this for me.

OK, pondmom!

Heres what I want you to do! :wink:

Since the hubby is building a pond in your basement for the Koi (Bless his heart, you got a keeper there!), Make that 125 a planted tank! IIRC, you have great filtration and such, upgrade the lighting, couple bags 'o fluorit/laterite, and you will be off to a smashing start to the world of planted tanks! Your angels will love it, and then you can get all kinds of tetras and cories and hatchets and all kinds of stuff!

Deep down, You know you want a planted tank! :) :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

corvuscorax,

Tell me more about these plants and lights :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Previously, when I bought plants, the koi devoured them in a day.
The aquarium is seperating the kitchen and the living room and it does get alot of light during the day. 3 of the 4 sides are visible.
And you're absolutely right about the plants :mrgreen: I love plants (any kind)
I need to know common names that are easy to grow, and requires not a $1000 light set.
Whats IIRC & bags 'o fluorit/laterite?

Thanks a bunch

I keep neon tetras with my angels with no problems at all. They are so bright and so beautiful and are a marvelous color balance with my darker angels. I vote for the large school of neons. :)

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly, (sorry bout the internet shorthand.)

Flourite is a planted tank substrate, Laterite is a substrate additive, can be mixed with regular gravel. Actually either one can be mixed with gravel and they are great for planted tanks.

Now if you don't mind, fill me in on the details of your tank. I seem to remember you have a cannister filter running on it, Yes?

Also, do you have a store bought hood or did you build one? I'm not sure. How much light in the hood? How many bulbs and their wattage, please.

You have a fair amount of options, even if the lighting is not that strong, there are a lot of low-light plants that will still do quite well in your tank.

I would suggest getting more angels, take them to about 15 maybe even 20. In a 125G that would be awesome, with a fair number of plants for places to hide. Also gourami would be nice, as well a, a another site I visit recommends convicts, only a pair though, t-bar cichlids, betta (male). They also recommend NOT adding neons as they will get eaten.

Hope your selection works out.

corvuscorax,

The tank is 125 gal, I have 2 fluval 404 canister filters, an air pump producing the bubbles and a 300w heater.
Currently there are only 3 happy angels in the tank.

As for the lighting, I've got 2 20w aqua glow (18,000K) bulkbs.
The hood is homemade. I don't have much clearance to add a huge set up(see photo)
I want to add tons of plants but I need something that doesn't need alot of light.
I know you guys won't steer me wrong :)
Thanks much

Back
Top Bottom