Angel fish are a relitive of the Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just read an article in this months issue of AFM that talked about angel fish being relivitves of cichlids.

The article said that they shaired many of the same common personality traits.

I just found it an interesting read as I had not considered them to be in the same family before.

Cichlids are a large group of fish, Angels are not relatives of cichlids, they are cichlids, South American cichlids to be precise. If you though that was interesting, then this will floor you....
African cichlids are basically F/W damsels seperated by a few thousand/million years of evolution 8O , It is believed that the rift lakes used to actually be part of the ocean and volcanic activity and earth quakes etc...closed them off from the ocean.

I have 4 Angels and if it wasn't for them my 55 would be becoming a reef. But I love my Angles so its gonna stay FW for now. When I first heard that they were cichlids I was like huh? They don't look like any other cichlids. The closest thing I ever saw to them was a Mono, a brakish fish.

Back
Top Bottom