Angel Fish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigBlak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I never had angel fish before so im a little confused. At the moment i have 2 and 2 pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder i have 12 emperor tetras on the way next week on wed. The tank is going to be planted and my final stocking plans looks like this.

4 Angels (2 Peru & 2 Phillipino Blue)
12 Emperor tetras
2 Pearl Gouramis
6 Sterbai Cory
1 BN.

Filtration is 4 AC30s

Now ive heard that angels should be in groups of atleast 5 and i hear some people say that i shouldnt do more then 3 in my tank im confused. Would i Be ok with 4 angels in my tank ? I have experience with cichlids but not angels so dont know what to expect when they start claming territory and mature so i want to get some advice. Is it as bad as africans or not as bad ?

4 in a 40 is a bit much IMO, they will harass each other when they start spawning. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but I've had to move mine on several occasions because of this.
I was going that route to have them spawn in the beginning but now im thinking of just leaving males in there even tho i cant sex them at the moment and if i do have a female i can move her to my rainbow tank. Right now the tank is bare and there is no territory but say if the two i have are both male ? one will harass the other right ? or say they are male and female and the male rejects the female ? isnt the same thing going to happen ? isnt it less likely to happen in a group ? or atleast spread out evenly with others ? Im giving cichlids another chance and want to have the best chances of sucess without moving one.

I've had males that would not tolerate another male in the tank at all, but also have some that have been totally fine if there wasn't a female in the mix.

In that size tank, an aggressor will literally pin the submissive one(s) to a corner and stress them to death. It's not as bad in a well planted or large tank, but still, if you have multiple tanks you will at least have more options if you have to make some changes.

These are the chances we take dealing with cichlids. Well im just going to add one more because my LFs has the beautiful filipino blue ones and i regret getting one at this moment and instead of getting just one thought i should go the group route thats recommended on multiple angelfish profiles the reason for the question. Its something that im going to stay temped to do so might aswell do it before the other two feel comfortable enough.

These are the chances we take dealing with cichlids. Well im just going to add one more because my LFs has the beautiful filipino blue ones and i regret getting one at this moment and instead of getting just one thought i should go the group route thats recommended on multiple angelfish profiles the reason for the question. Its something that im going to stay temped to do so might aswell do it before the other two feel comfortable enough.
I have a 40 with angels, and I agree with jeta that 4 would be pretty cramped in there. I also have only heard of 2 situations ever when having 3 angels worked out. With angels, I have found both genders to be territorial and potentially jerky, so I would not say that just because you have one geneder or the other it will work. IME, my females have been far meaner than my males. Of course, angels are individuals, and it sounds like you have another tank in case it doesn't work out. My best guess would be that it won't, but who knows? I actually have 3 that get along, so I am one of the 2 examples I know of where it works.

I tried to have 4 angels in my tank and two were killed. So I added two more hoping it would be a better fit and these two were bigger. Again two were killed. The two angels I have left won't allow any other angels in the tank. They just started to allow my bottom dwellers but that's it. They get the top and no one else!

BigBlak said:
I never had angel fish before so im a little confused. At the moment i have 2 and 2 pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder i have 12 emperor tetras on the way next week on wed. The tank is going to be planted and my final stocking plans looks like this.

4 Angels (2 Peru & 2 Phillipino Blue)
12 Emperor tetras
2 Pearl Gouramis
6 Sterbai Cory
1 BN.

Filtration is 4 AC30s

Now ive heard that angels should be in groups of atleast 5 and i hear some people say that i shouldnt do more then 3 in my tank im confused. Would i Be ok with 4 angels in my tank ? I have experience with cichlids but not angels so dont know what to expect when they start claming territory and mature so i want to get some advice. Is it as bad as africans or not as bad ?

Its only an opinion but AC30s is an Aquaclear 30??

If yes its good for up to 25 gal... With more you will clean a lot to maintain your tank!!

I agree with Jeta to, 4 angels in 40 gal its tight!!

I agree. I only have one angel in a forty breeder, ad originally I had thought about two, but I have to say enough is enough with these guys. They're not the meanest fish but not the nicest either. They can and will terrorize your fish. I only have one and it's a juvenile-cough, cough **delinquent** cough, cough-so I can't imagine four adults in a tank.

I agree with all of the above advice. 4 in a 40 would be really pushing it without other fish. Angelfish are pretty laid back UNTIL they spawn. I had two in a 55 that spawned and for the first two days (until I removed the eggs), they had 6 cherry barbs, 10 black neons, zebra danios and cories herded to the opposite end of the tank. If one fish came past the center brace, they kicked the crap out of it - violent attacks.

I'd pair off two in the 40 with the other fish. For a bigger tank, odd numbers are always better. :)

I have a single on in a 65 with a uaru 2 severums and a few full grown gourami and they all get along great. The angel never never bothered and just relaxing-ly floats at the top all day

Back
Top Bottom