Angel help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linsay

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our tank has been very stable with no appreciable ammonia or nitrites. I know we are on the high side but decided to add one angel for variety. The first angel I brought home looked a little ill out of the bag and died shortly after transfer. We went back to Petco and got a new angel. It did great all night long, but after I went out to a soccer game today, I came home and it was dead :(

I checked my water and my ammonia is still 0!

I don't know if the store just has some sick (yes, I know, Allie - quarentine tank) angels, or if something in my tank is toxic to them!
Any ideas??

I have a 20 gal. with 3 turquoise rainbows, 5 roberti tetras, 1 bristle nose, and 2 upside down cats.

Thanks,
Linda

How are you acclimating them? Whats the difference between the lfs pH and you tank's?

If its not disease related, it may be pH related.

I think you have it, Alli - I checked my pH and it is off the scale. I was worried about my ammonia and didn't even consider my pH levels. My other fish don't seem to have a problem with it being so high. I think it is odd that my water is so basic but......I guess angels are out for me until I find some way of controlling it.
I just feel really really bad that 2 angels had to die for me to figure it out :cry:

This was the case with me until I found out that my water was extremely hard. And then found out that angels are softwater fish. They are a delicate species in my opinion. I have been able to keep one angel alive in my tank. It has grown huge ( about 5 inches so far), but no others have been able to survive. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom