Angel in a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tampa

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my tanks is a 20 gallon and all I have in there is a mature size Angel and an Albino Bristlenose catfish.
I want to add something to the tank to "perk it up" but I know that I am limited.
I was thinking either a trio of black sailfin mollies or fancy guppies. I thought that either would add color and movement to the tank, PLUS since they are prolific the young would be good for the Angel and if there were enough I could feed the young to my African tanks.
I'm looking for your thoughts
Thanks,
Al

Umm, i would shoot for Mollies. Since the guppies will be absolutely destroyed. Your mollies will not be taken to kindly. If you do get mollies, get sailfin's, since they are large.

Zebra/leopard danios would be great for adding movement and flashes of color. The angel wouldn't be able to catch those. Is it a 20H or a 20L? You could put in a pair of GBR's or a trio of apistos.

The agnels could most definately catch the danio's, trust me. Besides, the fast swimming stresses them out.

i am partial to swords myself... i alway keep a few with my angels... for nutitional reasons ;)

Dither fish do not stress out angels, they are put into the tank to give them a sense of security. If the angels realize that other fish are out in the open then all must be well in their minds. Danios would be able to confuse the angel for some time if it were to go after them. I've got over 35 neon tetras in my 100g tank with 8 large adult angelfish and they've been in the same tank for months along with 8 discus and the angels have paid the neons no attention. It is dependent on the fish as to what they will and won't go after. With near certainty in my mind the lone angel won't go after the danios.

I have never heard of dither fish stressing out angels... Matter of fact I have 4 gourami that love the chase and 6 cherry barbs as well as 3 clown loaches and my angel goes about his buisness just fine... Ahh and a high strung bala shark.. well sometimes he is when he wants something I think.. SHRIMP!!!! haha yea no stress here

i think he meant the fast swimming of danios will stress the angel out.. not that all dither fish will stress them out. i agreed with that piece of knowledge, i have had danios in a 55 gal with angelfish and they always end up eaten even though they stay well feed.

I do the same thing a JDogg put in swords in my 29 gallon no population explosion at all just one very happy angel. It would be pushing the stock limit to go with 2 females and 1 male sword with the angel and the bristlenose in a 20 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom