Angel Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My koi angel has appearantly lost it's appetite. For the last week I have noticed it just does not seem interested in food. Occassionally I've noticed it eat off the bottom, but it's normal dinner time enthusiasm is gone. I'm pretty sure it's poop is paler and stringier than before. I did notice a higher level of aggression as well as breeding tubes showing for the first time a week or so ago on both my angels.

Any ideas?

55 gallon community. I feed flake daily and brine shrimp, mysis flakes, and blood worms on a regular rotation.

try starving it for two days. if that doesn't work, try meds.
my angels became so aggressive i had to separate them, but i haven't seen a decrease in appetite before or after that.

angels are know for going on hunger strikes, i am not sure if it is completely understood why. description of poop makes me think internal parasites or constipation... your feeding looks very protein heavy, try adding some spirulina algae flakes and/or veg to your rotation a couple days a week.

Well, not to curse you, but I had an angel do the same thing, it lasted for 2 weeks or so before I finally had to euthanize the poor thing. It just stopped eating one day, as well. Then stopped swimming.

When I posted about it, I was told I could raise the temperature in my aquarium to try and boost the metabolism of the fish, but I never got around to trying it.

Sorry to hear about the angel. :(

Have you observed any mating preparations (constant picking and cleaning of one particular spot, gently nudging of the abdomen by the other angel)?

Since you see breeding tubes out, it could be a sign of mating. Keep an eye for the above.

Yeah, they definately have been preparing to get busy :) They started with one end of the driftwood, then showed some interest in the powerhead, then some slate...
The koi's behavior hasn't really changed other than the above and the eating thing. I will add more veg to the diet, maybe that will help. I hope it's just part of the mating ritual though!

It could be, it sure sounds like it from your description above. I've usually chalked it up to depression ("I'm ready, you're not..."I don't like this spot") kind of thing. They just get a bit lethargic and then bounce back.

Signs to look for in regard to DT's post is: Swimming sideways or upside down. No activity in the ventral or anal fins, for several days, etc.

Well, it's been an interesting time watching the koi. I hate to be optimistic and jinx it, but things are looking up.
There was quite a behavior change about 5 days ago, almost no movement, hiding in the corner, "tucking" of the dorsal, anal, and caudel fins... I thought it was looking a little lop-sided a couple times, but that could have been me overreacting. As of two days ago, I had not seen this fish eat in over two weeks.
Then yesterday morning at flake time, it chased the food container around like it usually will and actually nibbled on a piece. Dinnertime was the same thing. This morning it ate a little more, not quite as much as normal, but improvement. Tonight was blood worm night and that seemed to bring out the appetite.
I also noticed the pair starting to clean off the end of the driftwood piece again yesterday and breeding tubes out on both of them today. I know most people experience eggs on filter tubes or slate, could the koi have possibly eaten some wood and had some sort of reaction? Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom