Angel tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a lone angel in a 29 gallon tank and was wondering if I could put any other fish in there. Here's a pic of the tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423144700.002817.jpg
She's full grown so it would have to be a hardy semi-aggressive fish. All opinions are welcome.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Angel Tank Mates

Hello bouncy...

Angels are cichlids. These fish are generally aggressive at meal time. I would say any medium sized fish that's peaceful would be fine. You don't want more aggressive species, they can be fin nippers. Not a good tank mate for an Angel. Corydoras and some of the peaceful livebearing fish like Platys and Swordtails would work. Your tank is pretty small, though and female Platys and Swordtails can get fairly large. Your call.

B

I really like corys so how many should I put in I heard that they are a schooling species so would 4 or 5 be ok?

Corydoras

I really like corys so how many should I put in I heard that they are a schooling species so would 4 or 5 be ok?

Hello again...

Corys are a shoaling fish, not a schooling fish. Watch Tetras some time, those are schooling fish. Albino Corys are hardy and available at most pet stores. They don't get very big, under 2 inches. I would stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume. The more, the better depending on the size of the tank. A 30 G tank could support 6 or even 8, males are much smaller. You'll need to keep the tank water extremely clean for Corys, or bacteria from dissolved fish wastes in the water will damage their barbels (feelers). I'd work up to the point you're changing half the tank water at least every week. If you're not doing this already, then remove and replace a little more each week until you get to that 50 percent.

A nicely planted bottom with some Anubias or Java fern attached to pieces of lava rock attached with dark cotton sewing thread will provide a bit of cover. Leave a little open area in the back of the tank for swimming. Corys like a shaded tank, so some floating plants like Hornwort or Anacharis are good too.

Have fun!

B

So my angel laid some eggs today. Do you think I could try to find a male and put him in with her or is the tank not big enough?

Ok so if I get another angel nothing else can go in because there wouldn't be enough room right?

If you have a breeding pair in a 29 you just need to make sure any tank mates would not be a threat to them. They will get territorial. You can find a few other fish to put in there though. If you want to raise babies you will need a grow out tank.

Ooh I have an extra 55 laying around so I could move the parents to that and have the 29 be the grow out. Sound good? Now just to find the space ?

Yep sounds good. I have a mating pair in a 55 with tank mates. They occasionally chase another fish but there is enough room that no harm happens. You don't want a third wheel angel in there though. It will get beat up.

So my angel laid eggs yesterday and now that it's been 24 hours since I saw them they haven't all turned white. I didn't see her lay them because she laid them at night so shouldn't they have all turned white by now?

Turning white is an indication of not be fertilized or they've become calcified. You'll need to check all your parameters including KH/GH and TDS would help.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Are you wondering if any are fertile? Since she's alone with no male, there's no chance they are fertile. I'm surprised she laid eggs without a male present. Are you sure it was the angelfish who laid the eggs? Is she guarding them?

She isn't really guarding them and she is the only fish in there she may have been full of eggs and had to get some out. Here is a pic of the eggs
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423234686.271449.jpg
You can see that most of them are white but a hand full are still clear.

Are you wondering if any are fertile? Since she's alone with no male, there's no chance they are fertile. I'm surprised she laid eggs without a male present. Are you sure it was the angelfish who laid the eggs? Is she guarding them?

+1 not fertile. It's my understanding any female will lay eggs without the presence of a male because they need to purge them. Or there will be consequences otherwise.

Ok just thought it was weird that they all hadn't turned white. Anyway if I put tetras in the 55 I have with the Angels would the Angels eat them? I would probably get like 10 or 15 of them. Also what else would you guys recommend to put in the 55?

I have rasboras with my angels and they don't bother them. Tetras might be just fine. Try a few at a time. I have some Denison's barbs with mine and they get along. I would stick with fish that can swim fast enough to get away, in case you end up with a breeding pair of angels. Stay away from fin nippers.

What would be the best tank mates for a breeding pair of angels? I think it would be cool to have big schools of little fish. I really like cherry barbs and neon tetras but thought the tetras would just get eaten. Any other opinions are welcome.

What would be the best tank mates for a breeding pair of angels? I think it would be cool to have big schools of little fish. I really like cherry barbs and neon tetras but thought the tetras would just get eaten. Any other opinions are welcome.

The smartest answer is none. It will only stress them beyond belief and has the potential to become a total nightmare for all involved.

Back
Top Bottom