Angel tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacelizard

Aquarium Advice Regular
My girlfriend wants to get into freshwater aquaria and is obsessed with/has decided on Angelfish as the centerpiece fish.

I know zilch about Angelfish and on top of that, I've read conflicting info on appropriate tank mates. Anyone have suggestions?

Also, would a 55g be big enough for 6-8 angelfish?

Thanks!

I currently have an 80 long, which is essentially a 6ft long version of your tank, and I keep 2 large male angels with rainbows, scissor tail rasboras, cories, a couple ottos and a lone GBR. They show no aggression towards anything in the tank but each other at times. They ignore everything else. They are both males and at times like to spar with each other. Never anything more than flarring and a shove or two and then they drop it. I have had angels in other set ups for years and the biggest mistake I made was adding new angels to established social groups.

I would not do 6-8, but I've seen 5 in a 55 while they are small work, however, pairing up may result in problems. If you do multiples, make sure to get them at the same time and the same size, groups do not tend to except new members easily. Your main problems will be pairs that want to spawn and dominant males in the same group. It will depend on the personality of the group you select. As they grow, you may have to take a few out. I find it easier to remove from a group than add to it if you think you don't have enough, but I also hate rehoming or trading in fish. Some will say it is ok to add females, but it can be very difficult to sex juveniles.

In a 55 I'd personally choose one angel that I really like and surround it with other species, but you could possibly do a few more.

I agree with the above. Angelfish kept in groups will inevitably pair off and then pairs are absolutely vicious. I recommend having just one. Trust me, they'll get big and take all the attention. My wife and I have one in our 55 surrounded by other fish and he's just the best. His tankmates are platies and many loaches. Any peaceful, non-nippy fish that is too big for an angelfish to eat is a good tank mate.

The only way to keep multiple is to get all males but sexing angelfish is all but impossible now until you see their breeding tubes.

I have a 40 breeder with two angels one discus and three Bolivian Rams.
Had this tank for over three years now and occasionally the Angels used to go at it at first but nothing big and lately they have mellowed out. Angels won't bother any other fish than an angel.
Anyway this is a very peaceful tank and they all get along just fine.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom