angelfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakedalab

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm waiting on my new 75g tank to come in and doing a lil research on angelfish. I was curious to know some of yalls thoughts on the fish and what others may go well with them.

Angelfish are AWESOME! Very cool to watch and can go with lots of differant fish in my opinion... Except things they can swallow ;)

I would choose tank mates wisley. Angels can get quite aggressive. I have 3 that bully my rainbows, serpae tetras, and giant danios around like kids. Make sure you get fish that can stand up for themselves, but don't go bullying other fish around without cause. If you get multiple angels, aggression during spawning will be pretty nasty if you're stocked pretty heavy. I'd keep that in mind. Don't forget, angelfish are cichlids...

Moved to Cichlid Discussion

No, other cichlids would make it worse. You could do some rams or apistos, but I'd stick with one pair if you do. It's not going to be terrible in a 75g tank, but you don't want to put any wimpy fish in there.

Gotcha. Sorry I'm kinda ignorant about angels. Most everything I have had has been guppies and such. So you said earlier that I may could go with an angels only type setup or did I misunderstand?

Try schools of non fin nippers. 6-8 of something like danios etc

Don't hold me to danios but it's a suggestion. Mine don't nip anything but themselves and stay happily at the top to mid of the tank. Love'em

I think you could get a few angel fish in a 75 g. And then 2 schools of 12 or so tetras would be really cool!

Yep if you go the planted route you'll have plenty of hiding spots for fry etc if the occasion arises!

Digidave said:
Yep if you go the planted route you'll have plenty of hiding spots for fry etc if the occasion arises!

Haha that could be bad though because the angel fish will probably become agressive towards their tank mates

Very true! Although at least in that tank they'll have some running room!

Oh lord I don't even know. And getting the babies is a goal of mine. Was thinking on doin it planted but never fooled with it before and dunno how much trouble I'd get myself into with it. As far as bottom feeders I hadn't much thought on it yet. The large schools of tetras is a must I agree. Any thoughts on the bottom feeders?

Love some Bushy Nose plecos, Cory cats, and loaches for a bottom crew. Snails are greedy eaters but their bioload is the same as a fish of their size. Shrimp can be inexpensive little cleaners but are likely food.

Loaches would be fun and I enjoyed the ghost shrimp I had in an old tank. I'd like to try a different type of shrimp though. And as far as snails go I'm sure ill have at least one. My wife has a thing about them. ( I blame sponge Bob myself but who knows why) and for sure some type of pleco

Back
Top Bottom