Angelfish and cichlid compatibility questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would any of the following NW cichlid species be compatible with my 1 angelfish (aggression/fin nipping)? What about with each other? Tank is a 50 gallon long.

Bolivian Ram
Rainbow Cichlid
Blue Acara
Keyhole Cichlid
Kribensis Cichlid

Also, will the above cichlids THRIVE if by themselves (example: cory cats thriving in groups)? I want to keep aggression from territories/spawning to a minimum.

Thanks!:fish2:

as species tanks they will be fine in colonies.
the angel should not be the only angel, they like to be in pairs or more.
maybe (only maybe) with the ram, because they stay in sorta different areas... but the angels can be territorial and could basically kill anything that invades. depending on the personality of the fish. or on the size and personality of the new fish, like the rainbow... that wouldnt work imo.

i think maybe u should send the angel to a lfs and set up a colony of a few of the above u listed?
plus the tank is a great size but with 1m/3fm u cant get alot of them in there. like 4 acaras and 4 rainbows would be good, but this is all imo! its up to u.
can anyone else share an opinion? xx

Kribs arent Nw cichlids. One angel is fine, though, and a pair of bolivians would be fine, idk about the others.

Oops good catch! My list was originally NW cichlids but thought I'd throw kribs in there since they have similar water conditions :facepalm:

Would the pair of bolivians have to be opposite sex or would they be fine as both the same?

With cichlids it can be hit or miss, sometimes you'll get a bully, sometimes it'll be just fine. As far as sexes go, I've tried a few different things and they all seem to work out about the same, but I try not to make odd #'s if I'm trying to spawn them because the odd man out always gets beat up.

A keyhole or ram is fine with an angel in that tank. Angels are individuals, and there is always a chance it won't work, but I think you would be fine. Rams and keyholes stay on the bottom level of the tank and angels stay above that, so there is 0-minimal competition for territory (typically). I have an angel pair with a ram pair and they never interact. I also have a keyhole with an angel without issues. Some angels are jerks, but I still think you are relatively safe intrying these combos.
Kribs are too bossy, that would be a bad idea to try. Same thing with the blue acara and the rainbow. Not good angel tankmates.
I know that rams and keyholes do just fine when kept alone (in the community, but the only member of their species). I do not know about the others.

A keyhole or ram is fine with an angel in that tank. Angels are individuals, and there is always a chance it won't work, but I think you would be fine. Rams and keyholes stay on the bottom level of the tank and angels stay above that, so there is 0-minimal competition for territory (typically). I have an angel pair with a ram pair and they never interact. I also have a keyhole with an angel without issues. Some angels are jerks, but I still think you are relatively safe intrying these combos.
Kribs are too bossy, that would be a bad idea to try. Same thing with the blue acara and the rainbow. Not good angel tankmates.
I know that rams and keyholes do just fine when kept alone (in the community, but the only member of their species). I do not know about the others.

Great info, thanks! The angel is about a half dollar size right now and living with cories and platies. He's been getting along fine with them with no aggression so far. But he's very curious, especially if he thinks the platies are eating something he'd be interested in and he'll shove his way in there to inspect lol.

Great info, thanks! The angel is about a half dollar size right now and living with cories and platies. He's been getting along fine with them with no aggression so far. But he's very curious, especially if he thinks the platies are eating something he'd be interested in and he'll shove his way in there to inspect lol.
No prob. Another thing to remember is that you often will not see the true nature of your angel until he/she is fully mature. Small ones are usually awesome community dwellers, so people are lulled into a false sense of security and forget that they are still predatory cichlids. I love their varying personalities. It mixes things up.
On the topic of your tankmate choices, I will add that the keyhole is feistier than the ram IME. But, I still think the mix works out fine. Having lots of plants also helps the situation because the fish use them as territorial landmarks and boundaries IME. You are more likely to have issues if there is just a ton of open space without clearly defined territories. :) I also keep terra cotta pots for all my cichlids.

I think it's amazing at the fact that angels are one of the most underestimated cichlids out there. Everyone thinks they are peaceful community fish, then find out later that they can, and usually will be, quite aggressive to other tankmates. My angels rules my tanks. I have some in a 150g with a bajillion rainbows... they keep them in line for sure.

No prob. Another thing to remember is that you often will not see the true nature of your angel until he/she is fully mature. Small ones are usually awesome community dwellers, so people are lulled into a false sense of security and forget that they are still predatory cichlids. I love their varying personalities. It mixes things up.
On the topic of your tankmate choices, I will add that the keyhole is feistier than the ram IME. But, I still think the mix works out fine. Having lots of plants also helps the situation because the fish use them as territorial landmarks and boundaries IME. You are more likely to have issues if there is just a ton of open space without clearly defined territories. :) I also keep terra cotta pots for all my cichlids.

I've read that rams don't appreciate the energy of cories. Is this true?

I've read that rams don't appreciate the energy of cories. Is this true?
Um, I don't think that is true. But, if the rams are spawning, they don't appreciate the corys wandering into their territories. But, its no big deal if there is enough room for the corys to avoid them, or if the rams don't spawn. I have rams with corys and they don't care that the corys exist. I haven't ever heard of an issue unless the rams are spawning. Your tank is big enough that even a pair of rams should be fine with corys. But, if you don't want to risk that, just get one ram. My keyhole also doesn't care about the rams.

Um, I don't think that is true. But, if the rams are spawning, they don't appreciate the corys wandering into their territories. But, its no big deal if there is enough room for the corys to avoid them, or if the rams don't spawn. I have rams with corys and they don't care that the corys exist. I haven't ever heard of an issue unless the rams are spawning. Your tank is big enough that even a pair of rams should be fine with corys. But, if you don't want to risk that, just get one ram. My keyhole also doesn't care about the rams.

Sounds good. I'm just working down the list trying to make sure everyone's happy with each other lol.

On that note, are there any fish you know of that rams wont get along with?

Sounds good. I'm just working down the list trying to make sure everyone's happy with each other lol.

On that note, are there any fish you know of that rams wont get along with?
They are an "all bark, no bite" type of fish. IME, they do fine with all fish that are peaceful (a few exceptions when spawning), but aggressive fish will eat them alive. I have never had an issue with them with any of my peaceful schoolers or livebearers. No tiger barbs or anythign like that IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
They are an "all bark, no bite" type of fish. IME, they do fine with all fish that are peaceful (a few exceptions when spawning), but aggressive fish will eat them alive. I have never had an issue with them with any of my peaceful schoolers or livebearers. No tiger barbs or anythign like that IMO.

Now all I have to do is see what my LFS has in stock!

Hmmm, that a good question. I think they would prefer a slightly slower current. But, not as slow as a goldfish, just watch to make sure they don't get swept away I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom