Angelfish and Neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks... I have a pair of Angelfish, not very large yet, but I wouldn't consider them still young'ens. Anyway, I was contemplating adding some neon tettras to my new tank, but I came across a few sites mentioning that Neons and Angelfish are natural prey/predator, and despite both being good community tank fish, they should not be stocked together.

A number of other sites actually list neon tetras as being recommended tankmates with angelfish (solodvds.net being one). Oddly enough, the cardinal tetra, which I consider very similar, solodvds.net lists as being an incompatible with Angels.

So, all that aside, anyone currently stocking these together, or had stocked them together? OK? Not OK? is it OK so long as I mind a few items like places to hide or something?

Just looking to tap the vast experience here to make a wise decision.

If they can fit in the angels mouth, they will be eaten. So even if they might not fit in there now... there will be a day they will... and thats money down the drain

I would definatlly not add neons with your angels

Its a bit risky, but I heard somewhere that if your angels are about quarter-sized and if you can keep them together, there's a good chance they won't get eaten once the angels get bigger. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So exactly how should an angel be measured?

I'd say they are about 1" diameter, minus the extended fins. So the major body mass, resembling a circle, would be around the size of a 50 ct piece.

I know the neons wouldn't fit in the angels mouth at this point, and if they maintain the growth rate, i'd probably have 6+ months... however my immediate concern is simply whether the angels would attack them, despite not being able to wholly eat them.

My though/plan was hoping they would peacefully coincide for now, while the angels are smaller, and in time, move them into another 10gl aquarium in my daughters room (the neons).

Unfortunately for me, I really have my heart set on a BGK (black ghost knife), and the common consensus among BGK keepers, is that anything that will fit in its mouth, will be eaten, period. Which really narrows down the common community fish selection. All in time though, I'm not delving into the BGK until the time is right.

If the angels ever do start picking on the neons then you could just move them to the 10 gal. Also, I don't think I would add a BGK because they can get up to 18" long and they really aren't very active during the day anyway. JMO

That was my hope, but I was hoping to find someone who has them living together now, so as to get confirmation I do have some time. The 10gl isn't setup yet, its a summer project for my daughter and I. So I'll only get them provided I have the time to patiently move them when ready.

As for the BGK, thats a whole nother topic that is the subject of ALOT of discussion. I've seen many varied reports and opinions on them, however it seems that its wise to acquire them young so as to raise them sorta peacefully. Alas, thats another topic though, but i heed your, I'm trying to gather as much information as possible on the BGK before I invest in it. An informed decision is far more powerful than a lucky decision.

I have two angelfish living with two neon tetras and they do not attack or threaten each other but the angels do chase each other around. My angelfish are about 1 inch in diameter and about 1/2 an inch in diameter (not counting fins and tail) My angels are almost never near or by the tetras

So far my Angel is getting large but had not cared about the small male endlers in the tank. The only thing the Angel goes after is the GBR's which when the Angel was small would pick on it a tad(now the tables have turned).

Mine live together now, they swim together now, they do actually play and eat together now. I cant say the same thing once the angels get bigger but when my dad used to keep fish, he had HUGE angels and cichlids in with neons and tetras.

If the angels have a diet where they arent lacking anything then your neons will be fine. However there is always the territorial/aggressive attacks that nothing can prevent other then seperation.

Back
Top Bottom