Angelfish breeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brighteyes71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon mixed species tank. Two of the Angels decided to pair up, I put a divider in the tank to separate them from everyone else. They laid their first set of eggs 3 weeks ago. They we're great parents until the babies were free swimming, then they ate them. They laid eggs again 3 days ago. I came home and found the wigglers on a different leaf than they were laid on but it looks like there's still eggs left on the original leaf. The left over eggs appear to have been fertilized. They are taking care of the wigglers.
Question 1: can they have two sets of eggs?
Question 2: Will they take care of both sets?
Question 3: did they leave the other eggs because there's something wrong with them?
Question 4: when should i take three parents out do they don't eat the fry?
Question 5: had anyone had any luck with letting the parents raise the fry?
I don't have room for another tank to raise the fry separately.
Thanks in advance

I’ve never had luck with angels raising their own fry. A week is about as far as I’ve seen them last. Best to take the eggs out, if you can, rather than the parents. In any case , feed the fry baby brine shrimp and change 25% of their water every day. You can raise them in a gallon jug for a couple of weeks if it’s well aereated and the water changed daily. Then you can add another jug to separate them as they get larger.

I’ve never had luck with angels raising their own fry. A week is about as far as I’ve seen them last. Best to take the eggs out, if you can, rather than the parents. In any case , feed the fry baby brine shrimp and change 25% of their water every day. You can raise them in a gallon jug for a couple of weeks if it’s well aereated and the water changed daily. Then you can add another jug to separate them as they get larger.
Thanks! Good info

Well there's been some interesting things going on with my Angels. I put the wigglers in a breeding net in the same area of the tank. When I came down for work they were all gone! I thought the parents sucked them through the net and ate them. But NO!! The parents used the floating plants to gather the fry and move them!!!! You can't tell me that fish aren't smart. As of 11pm tonight the wigglers aren't free swimming yet. Once they are I'll try to separate them.

I have no more room at the inn lol. I'm going to wait until they are free swimming and move the parents to the other side of the tank. They are in a 75 gallon that had a divider where they all are now. I tried moving the babies to a breeder box with the parents but mom and dad would not have it and used the floating plants to get the babies out and put them on a leaf. My daughter saw them doing it! You can't tell me that fish aren't smart!! They take care of their babies better than some people

I have no more room at the inn lol. I'm going to wait until they are free swimming and move the parents to the other side of the tank. They are in a 75 gallon that had a divider where they all are now. I tried moving the babies to a breeder box with the parents but mom and dad would not have it and used the floating plants to get the babies out and put them on a leaf. My daughter saw them doing it! You can't tell me that fish aren't smart!! They take care of their babies better than some people
Haha! That's awesome. Most cichlids are great parents. And they become very aggressive protecting their brood. Even the chill, laid back ones will become mean after spawning

How soon after she lays the eggs should I take them out. Is there a way to tell if they have been fertilized. After I put them in a tank, how long till they hatch? Any other info would be great. Thx

The malefollows the female so shortly after the ages are laid, they are fertilized. About five days after laying the eggs hatch but the young are still attached to the laying surface. They are called wrigglers at this stage. After about ten days they are free swimming and you should feed them baby brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom