Angelfish + Dwarf Gourami + Blue Ram!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heyas.

I brought my rummy school up to 6 this weekend, and also picked up an albino pleco (wife wanted him; orange and gorgeous, and yes, I know he'll get too big for my 30g :wink:) and realized I'm almost fully stocked.

Now, then, I have a (yet another hard) decision to make - what finishes my stock list?

The dilemma is choosing a between dwarf gourami (I just saw they need a school of 3? I've never heard this and was planning on a solo. . .) and a Blue Ram.

I'd love to have both, but I don't think there's enough 'territory' in the tank for both and Mr. Angelfish. . . advice?

I've never tried keeping DGs with angels, but I've heard folks around here say that it can be trouble. Blue rams can be difficult to keep, but would do fine with angels- they usually keep to themselves at the bottom of the tank. If you go with the rams I would get 2 of them, JMO. :D

Thx the for reply, severum mama - I haven't seen anything specific about problems w/ DG and angels; have to do some searchin.

Blue rams are gorgeous - but the bottom of my tank is fairly populated; didn't consider that yet. . . dunno how they'd like to live amongst the cories, otos, rummies and pleco. Hrm.

Hmmm.... I actually thought about that, and came to the conclusion that it would probably be ok. How long is your tank, like 3 feet? The rummies will do pretty much anything to keep to themselves, so I wouldn't worry about them. The cories are tough and I wouldn't expect them to be bullied too much by tiny cichlids (unless, of course, they spawn). Same goes for the pleco, and aren't the otos kinda all over the place? It's really up to you whether you want that much activity in the bottom half of your tank. If not, I would suggest another small school of tetras to get more going on in the top half. 5 or 6 pristella or flame tetras or something of that size and temperament would work great, and as long as you keep up on your PWCs you shouldn't have water quality issues. Then again, I tend to stock heavily. :wink:

Actually, I was considering another schooling fish for the mid/top section of the tank (LFS recommend RAINBOWs, of all things - my tank is about full!) and I know tetras would work - that's still up in the air. My wife seemed to like the standard harlequin rasboras, and I always have, so they're a possibility. . . as would be hatchets, if I could find 'em. :|

I would be a little worried about a pair of spawning Rams in my tank - I have no QT or anywhere to PUT a QT (actually, an lfs omw to work has 10 gals for 7.99. :evil grin: ) so I couldn't handle the aggression of spawning cichlids too well. Not sure if I could go w/ a pair of Rams.

Do you not think a Ram would solo well?

I thought I heard they did better in pairs, might be wrong about that though. I've got tons more experience with m. altispinosa (which would also be a possibility for you IMO), I'm only just starting out with m. ramirezi (got a couple gold rams a few weeks ago). Of course, just because you get 2 doesn't mean they will pair off. I've never had any fish spawn. :roll: Then again, it could happen. I don't know how aggressive they are when spawning since I don't have any experience with that myself... I wonder how much damage a couple of tiny cichlids could really do. :?

I have three angels and three Dwarf G in my 55 Gal. I also have lots of other fish I stock heavy also). My schooling fish are Jumbo Neon, Rasbora's, and Silver Tipped Tetra's. No problem with compatibility with any of them.

Ok, so we have some success stories (thanks for the posts, btw:)) but I'm wondering if in a 30 gallon tank there's going to be enough room for a pair of rams to have enough 'territory' as well as the angel...

So I could be happy w/ a pair of Rams and another small fish school. I'd want them to be top-swimmers though - suggestions? I've heard Tetras and am considering them - and haven't seen hatchets anywhere around town...

I sure wish I could find that chart w/ fish swimming location preferences. :|

Back
Top Bottom