Angelfish eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackiee

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I woke up yesterday morning with an artificial leaf full of angelfish eggs!

I have 3 angelfish, two striped grey ones and one black colored one. I noticed that one angel was looking a little chubby for a week or so before this. So, since I have a community tank, I bought a divider and it worked out pretty well. However, the eggs have all turned infertile. (they've all turned white, or almost all of them)

Let me remind you that this is their first batch.

So, why did they turn infertile? Is it because they may be both females? They both (the two grey ones) seem to be helping with the fanning and guarding. Or is it because the male (although I don't know which one) didn't fertilize them?

And also, the black angel I have (now divided with the rest of the tank inhabitants) seems to be bloated in the tummy as well and has been for less then a week. Does she have eggs in her too?

And also, what to do with the eggs? Just take them out? I'm planning on taking them out later in the day, but what do I do with the parents while I'm taking them out?

Thanks so much for the help!

You may well have three females. In the absence of a male, a female will display all of the characteristics associated with a male. The only difference is the eggs will not be fertilized.

Take the eggs out ASAP. They will become covered in fungus very quickly.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm taking the unfertilized eggs out immediately as they will fungus from what you guys tell me.

But I'd really like to breed angels. How do you tell girls from boys?

You don't tell them, they tell you :lol: You can only sex them accurately at breeding time. The females exhibit a short wide ovipositer and the males have a thin pointed breeding tube.

now my two angelfish who had eggs (the silvers) keep attacking my black/marble colored one.

What does this mean? They aren't even in a certain area of the tank, it's just when the black one gets near, they attack it and chase it until it goes away. My two silvers now are basically always together.

I wish i knew if they were boy-girl or girl-girl or not! :|

Here's a pic of the eggs they had!

img_612192_0_0dcce5eeedd5e1d2941fe561eecb9845.jpg

(Yes, one of my angelfish has a slight case of ich that I'm trying to get rid of!)
img_612192_1_119e94a11794d2348cfa2bd9543c5370.jpg

Unfortunately, once a pair is formed, they don't want any other angels in the tank. That is nature of most if not all cichlids. This happened to my angels as well and I had to remove her before they did some real damage.

So, this means they are a pair? A boy and a girl?

Or is it possible that they can be a pair and both girls?

It is possible that it is a pair and both girls...

Your third angel (black) will get picked on allot from now on I'm afraid. Once a pair is formed they will not tolerate others in their territory.
How big is your tank?

A "pair" doesn't necessarily mean male/female. It has everything to do with the angel that is female taking on the characteristics of a male, even mimicking being the aggressor. They will attack any other angel as if they are a true pair.

In your particular case, you will not know for sure unless you happen to "catch" the male/female in the act of fertilizing the eggs or you get a successful spawn. I would try BrianNY's suggestion if you want to be sure. You may have a true pair.

Another possibility is, from what I read on angels, is the first spawning might not produce anything. Until the male and female get it right, it might take 1 or 2 tries. But once they got it, they got it, lol. It's completely possible that if you do have a male and a female, that on the first try, they might not have been fertalized.

Back
Top Bottom