Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #1

Angels growing, doubled in size!

Well two of them anyway. I bought six angels a while back (2 weeks maybe?) and two of them are now twice the size of the other four. When i feed them, i know they are all getting enough to eat, there is no struggling, fighting, or anything. I feed them flake food twice a day, and bloodworms once a day (don't worry it is in small amounts) I also drop shrimp pellets in for my bottom feeders, and algae wafers at night. When i open they lid, they all group together at the top, and then they spread out as the food starts spreading out. Even my Gouramis seem to be getting plenty.

So my question is, why is it that two of them are growing soo much bigger? Could i have possible got different breeds? Or maybe some of them are 'dwarfs'?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Weird. That happened to the last two cores I bought. One of them has nearly tripled in size and the other one is still very small. I know he gets enough to eat, and he seems healthy despite his size.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could just be genetics and mother nature. Those two angels would likely have been two that would have made it in the "real" world where the others most likely would have been eaten, died of disease, etc.... Most of the time I notice my fish even when bought at the same time and size several will out preform the others. The other fish will be fine but could be of lesser quality when it comes to genetic makeup. These fish will often be the first to show signs of stress or disease if conditions become less favorable. We often forget that fish survival rates are not very good in nature but we skewed this in our favor (dependent upon ones view point) and that with commericial farming and captive raising increased the survival rates dramatically and allow the passing of "weaker" fish in the industry. With this progress we are often really purchasing inferior stock. Of course most of these fish make for beautiful fish in the aquarium and do just fine.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think lepomis is partially correct. I've noticed that dwarfism in fish is more common then one may think. Especially with my albino dwarf BN. It isn't uncommon to have over 50% their spawns be runts.

IMO this has more to do with inbreeding of captive species. The gene pool of certain fish has been so reduced that recessive traits can and do become more common. In many cases the runts will live otherwise normal lives.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree inbreeding could and be the reasons for this. I just lumped it into bad genetics also because the same growth rate observations will be observed even in these poorly breed captive stocks. Even in inbreed captive species there are superior fish than the rest in a given spawn.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it is uncommon for angels to grow at different rates. Females tend to be smaller when full grown IME. As far as corys go the males of most species seem to be smaller than the females, so it would appear they are growing slower.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have only one so I cannot compare with another angel of the same type. When I got it a couple of months ago, he was the size of a penny, hence my signature... I should be changing my sig. because he is at least 4 times bigger now!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I agree wholeheartedly with BrianNY. If anyone remembers, I had 4 angels. All purchased from the same location, same day, same size. They were growing at the same rate in the 30 gal since January. Two weeks after I transferred them to the 75 gal., I finally found the "runt" of the bunch. Little by little, the other three got larger while the "runt" just lingered.

Finally, I found him attached to the intake tube. Mysterious demise? Not in the least. I had expected this much earlier.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #9

wow, well at least im not the only one with "runt fish" They seem happy and healthy other wise. When i bought them they were all about the size of a Quarter... when i looked at them today, 3 of them are still about the size of a quarter, two of them are Half Dollar size, and one is sort of in between. The two large ones are beautiful... but the little ones are still cute. As some of you may know, my goal is to get a breeding pair, so i hope the fact that they are growing at different rates won't effect my chances of being able to acheive that.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree and have seen this in my Rainbows. I bought 3 tourquise at the same time. One is much bigger and brighter now. All three are males, but they are growing at very different rates.

Tags
angel, angels, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com