Angels, single or a pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just got myself an angelfish, it's medium sized, a really nice fish. I was told they are generally ok on their own and have seen a very large one on its own at the lfs. Since putting it into my tank yesterday it has become rather shy.

When i first put it in it was swimming about the front of the tank, but soon went and found a hiding place behind a tall plant at the back of my tank. I havn't seen it anywhere else since! It stays behind that plant the whole time!

My question is, should i get it a friend? I could go and get another one today, but im not sure weather it is just settling in, and will get more confident, or is unhappy because it is alone? I know my rainbow shark was shy when i first got it, but now its fine.

If i was to get another angel it would be the last fish i put in the tank, as i think im about full now. The fish are all young and small.

TIA

elliott_001 said:
If i was to get another angel it would be the last fish i put in the tank, as i think im about full now. The fish are all young and small.

With all these fish-
3 zebra loach
1 black spotted bulldog pleco
3 oto's
4 cherry barbs
2 german blue rams
1 Rainbow shark

I dont think you should get another one ;) Not to mention, the only way 2 angels would work in a tank that small is if they were a mating pair, and you would have to roll the dice on that. Maybe get 5-6 angels, and tank back the 4 that dont mate? But that would be pushing your bioload (Unless your water changes are pretty frequent). Sounds like an active tank though. He might just have to get used to it.
HTH

Sounds like some good advice there, thanks. I think i will stick with the single angel, he just has to get used to it :) As i say, i've seen them on their own before, and they seem ok. My bioload is fine at the moment because the fish are all small.
Thanks for the advice.

what size was the tank? i dont see it in the post above, and for some reason AA isnt letting me view the "my info" button for other people...and mine for that matter lol

sir_dudeguy said:
what size was the tank? i dont see it in the post above, and for some reason AA isnt letting me view the "my info" button for other people...and mine for that matter lol

30 gallon. It didn't say in post or on his info. I went to some of his old posts to find the info. I am thorough :D

my single angel is very active and not shy a bit, he will come and almost eat food outta my hand. He is my favorite fish right now. Just give him some time, he hasnt made any friends yet

I have 2 angels and they are not shy at all.. the swim together most of the time.. I am attaching a few pics..

My hand and of my angels
img_642897_0_610ecec2c8ccf5080ad25035f0a10c15.jpg

Angels swiming together
img_642897_1_6ef1b4e3bd1c8e68dc4998125719b09f.jpg

angels and some other fish
img_642897_2_e18c48f309cd3f72ea97e4ae2b0c0f30.jpg

good luck with your angels..

Cheers guys, yes my tank is a 30gal, lol Andyvette! It should be in my sig?
Yesterday when i offered some food it came out hiding and seemed fine! It was hanging around for a while after that, but then went back to being shy within the hour.

igongora - nice pics btw! lovely looking angels. I kinda wish i could get two, but i dont really want to add more fish.

Thebluyak - Thanks, i think you are probably right, with time it will get better. Im gonig to go feed my fish now, see what the angel does this time!

Thats a really nice fish!! I was thinking mine has some fin damage, and looking at that pic tells me it does. It was like this from the lfs (not my fault, honest!), it was in a tank with other angels. I think my angel has a different shape dorsal fin to yours too.

I just fed my fish and observed my tank for a while, my oto's are thriving at the mo, so fat! And so active! My angel took a while to realise what was going on, then it came up to surface and spend ages finding food, then continued searching for ages after it had all gone! Started following a leaf around my tank for a while, lol.
Im starting to notice some of its personality, but i have to say, at the moment my german blue rams and loaches seem to have very interesting personalities. (i just saw one of my loaches showing its spines! Which is rare)

Sorry, i cant sex your angel. Wouldnt mind knowing what sex mine is, but dont have any decent pics yet!

Back
Top Bottom