Angry with my malawi tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
:evil:

Well as use are aware I am trying to make a malawi tank and well it is now making me angry. i can not seem to get the rock placement right. They look out of place and a complete mess. :x Please psot as many pictures as soon as possible before I loose my mind :(.

*sits in a corner crying*

If i am only haveing a bout 10 fish max. How many caves will I need. And how many rocks for a 3 foot tank.

36 x 18 x 12.

This tank will be the home to yellow labs. So what ever will suit them the best. Especially to breed.

What kind of rocks are you using? I setup a cute little cave using river rocks and silicone. It took about an hour of design before actually gluing them together, but it turned out nicely. Do you have any pics of your setup?

I do t have pics as I am ashaimed of it at the moment. I will try to get it to look nicer n then post pics lol :oops:

There's nothing to be ashamed of. Tanks are a work in process. I still think mine look like they could use a HUGE makeover, but people say that they look perfect the way they are. I need to update my gallery with new pics. Anyways. Like the saying goes, You are your worst critic. :D

hmm 10 fish means like 15-20 caves? its betterto let them choose than to have to compromise.

With the size of your tank, 15 caves may be a bit much. You could try to build caves within caves. Also have a couple dense clumps of greenery.

What is exactly the problem with the rocks? The placement and esthetics of it? Please be assured that your fish will not care one bit how it looks, and if you just pile rocks around the tank they will be happy.

They will need some caves and some open areas to spit sand around. If you can stack the rocks in a very stable manner try to get at least one area almost to the surface of the water, as it will encourage them to use more of the upper areas of the tank. I tend to scape my tanks somewhat into thirds, with a left, middle and right area, so for a rocky tank it turns it into "grottoes." Stack the rocks in a "W" shape, with the arms pointing towards you away from the back of the tank, so that you have kindof a "U" shape on the left with rocks in the middle of the tank, and a "U" shape on the right.

You can look through my gallery in my sig and look in the gallery here under Members FW Tanks to see how people have their tanks set up and to get ideas.

Back
Top Bottom