anomalochromis thomasi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megladonsharky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any info on these appreciated I have bought two and they are at lfs till I get tank set up... Also what if any fish can I put with them in a ten gallon??

ive gone to 2 sites and they say at least 20 gallons. they said their carnivores. sand , heavily planted with some wood i think.

lol im sure they'll be fine for awhile though

maybe an oto? pleco? i think they mainly stay on the bottom from what ive read, but a 10 gallon doesnt give much room to run away

Yeah I thought it might be a squeeze but they were a 1.50 a piece.. so I couldnt say no..lmao.. I know better than that..

well.. thats your excuse to get the 125 gallon you always wanted :).

but yeah id get a 20 longish. or something like that. but those are estimates for how much they should be. or moreso recommendations. but recommendations arent rules :). for 1.50 a piece you shoulda gotten some more :D

A pair of Anomalochromis thomasi will do reasonably well in a 10 gallon tank for quite some time. These are a relatively small and peaceful (for a cichlid) African river cichlid and they don't require the hard, alkaline water conditions that the Rift Lake cichlids prefer. Eventually I'd think about housing the pair in a 20 gallon, perhaps with a small Synodontis species and maybe even some African tetras as dither fish.

-Joe

Fruitbat

thank you number one... lol what is a dither fish??

In your opinion could I place my preacox rainbows with them??

I am thinking a 20-30 gallon as soon as I can$$ it :)

Praecox would probably be a good choice. I am using them as dithers in my A. calvus tank, as they do not get terribly large.

The action of the smaller schooling fish swimming around reassures the larger fish that there is no danger. When you have no dithers, some fish will hide continuously, thinking that if there are no other fish swimming around there must be danger. It makes them feel more comfortable to have some schooling going on.

Back
Top Bottom