Another Cichlid ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
my LFS took in some cichlids today on trade, but no one knows what they are :D not even the lad trading them in :roll:

they are a group of 10 fish, ranging in size from 1 ich to 3 inches.

i believe they are from one of the rift lakes, but i am not sure which one (though i want to guess Tangs) they are not haps or peacocks IMO and i do not think they are mbuna.

the body is all black but they have a yellow tail fin.

what are these guys so they can be put up for sale?

I believe there may be a black with yellow tail variant of psuedotropheous acei, but i'm not sure on the exact locale, and I could be wrong.
Pictures could possibly tell a thousand words here.
EDIT: These will also have a blue tinge to them

DeFeKt said:
Acei 'tanzania' i'm thinking of.
humm, looked at some pictures ... like this one and this one

that looks like it had some white fringes on the top and bottom fins, also some yellow on the back of the dorsal, these fish have none of this colouration, body was Black, not the dark-gray/ purple that this fish seems to have. also too much yellow on the tail, think half as much just on the tip. plus imagine the head more rounded at the front... :?

The purple one that you looked at is a regular Acei. The one with the yellow tail is a Tanzanian. It looks nothing like the ones on this page? That's the only Black and yellow African that I know of. I'll look more this evening though.

Fishyfanatic said:
The purple one that you looked at is a regular Acei. The one with the yellow tail is a Tanzanian. It looks nothing like the ones on this page? That's the only Black and yellow African that I know of. I'll look more this evening though.
yea i still say the head is wrong and they did not have the white edges on the fins, may not have been african i guess :?

There are some black and yellow ones that I know of but not a solid black body. It could be an uncommon one though. I've been looking at some in Lake Tang but haven't seen any that matched the description. Maybe another lake? Or like you mentioned, maybe a SA?

to be honest it reminded me of Tropheus moori but with an all black body and yelly tip to tail... but i can not find any Tropheus that look like that :?

I was wondering about that in regards to the face and body shape but couldn't find one that matched the color description. Sorry. Maybe if you could get a pic?

Back
Top Bottom