Another gbr sexing post(sorry!!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know there are tons of these so my apologies but did my research before picking them out and I did my best to sex them in tank. So now they are home and I'm a little confused. So I shall post pics and would love opinions. One of them... The less dominant I couldn't get a good pick of in tank so I moved it to a baby food jar for one min. To get the pic, its normally not so dark and stressed :) the dark one I wanted you to be able to see the extended dorsal tips. Because this is why I'm a little confused about the sexes. Thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

• image-3136430106.jpg
    image-3136430106.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1999039.jpg
    image-1999039.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 85
The reason Im torn is because the first has way more blue dots in the 'black spot' however, it has the spiked dorsal fin. The second has a distinct black spot that doesn't really get blue spots, but doesn't seem to have the spikes dorsal fin. Thanks for the opinion!

I won't mind if they are both female. The second one is definitely dominant though that's for sure.

Yea I would say the second is male but It can be hard to tell when they are still kinda small, the first is a female for sure.

Thanks. I will patiently wait for them to get older, just wasn't sure if it was two bickering females and if maybe I should try to find a male.

You can't always go by the spots on Rams these days since most are tank bred from the Far East. Sometimes the sexual differences through color gets washed away. Look at African Cichlids for this. Wild specimen females of certain species will have no egg spots but domesticated ones will.
The males will have that rooster like crest tho when it gets older so I wouldn't be in such a hurry to put a definite sexed one with them just yet. I'd give them some time. (IMO)

Hope this helps

You can't always go by the spots on Rams these days since most are tank bred from the Far East. Sometimes the sexual differences through color gets washed away. Look at African Cichlids for this. Wild specimen females of certain species will have no egg spots but domesticated ones will.
The males will have that rooster like crest tho when it gets older so I wouldn't be in such a hurry to put a definite sexed one with them just yet. I'd give them some time. (IMO)

Hope this helps

Grasshopper having patience :)

Saw breeding tubes this morning, have eggs this evening. They are keeping the cory cats away and the angels haven't come to this side of the tank. I'm anxious to see how they do as parents. Mama guarding the eggs.

Attachments

• image-3796745847.jpg
    image-3796745847.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom