Another momma holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Still have one holding in the nursery tank and my favorite blue one is definitely holding now. Should be interesting because she is the only blue cichlid in the tank. Can't wait to see what the babies look like. I will put some pics up as the babies come around.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Quick old pic of her before the tank rearrangement .

Attachments

• image-2737527551.jpg
    image-2737527551.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 138
Congrats...I currently have 7 ladies holding and close to 60 fry in 2 20gal long tanks. They breed like rabbits with a good diet and pristine water conditions. Thank goodness for craigslist to sell them off.

Are you going to let her spit in the tank? Or remove and strip her?

I plan on having her let them go. How do I strip them if I need to? Just in case it gets a little hairy in the nursery tank.

jillofalltrades37 said:
That is so cool cant wait to see them. How old are the African cichlids before they start having babies? They lay eggs right?

Mine started at about nine months or so. Yes they are egg layers but they are mouth brokered so mom will hold them in her mouth until she feels it is time to let them go. That is usually three weeks or so.

Brooders not brokered. Stupid spell check, sorry

Was able to snap a pic if four of the babies at once. They are about an inch long. How big do you think they need to be before you can safely ship them off to another owner. I want to get them out before the next round of babies come but I don't want to put them in any danger. Thanks

Attachments

• image-3486123140.jpg
    image-3486123140.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 109
Just an update. The first round of five babies got rehomed. Mama that was holding finally let them go. Holy cow, there were over twenty babies in her mouth. Tried to get a good pic but they hide out in the back. One more week and it's time to put the next holding mama in the nursery tank. She has learned to eat while holding. Kind of amusing to watch. She sucks s flake in and then it's looks like she is gargling. Can't wait to see what those babies look like. She is the only blue one in the tank.

Attachments

• image-1140362488.jpg
    image-1140362488.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom