Another Tang. Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been a while forum, how are y'all? Well I'll skip the banter for now and get right down to it. I'm starting up a new lake tanganyika tank and this is its thread! Tank will be set up hopefully the Monday of next week, hopefully the weather will allow me to do so...alright here's what I'm workin with.....
-40g Aqueon breeder/-Fluval 406/-Cobalt neo-therm 200 watt heater/-Fluval 36" LED light with a glass top.
-3 dozen escargot shells/-a rather large amount of cichlid stones/-100lbs of play sand.
Alright here's where i need the help of AA's cichlid guys.
Obviously I want this tank to house shellies and for that I'm thinkin Lamp. ocellatus gold. I'd also like to incorporate other species. I'd like to have Juli. marlieri or regani, eretmodus cyanostictus and a small group of syno. petricola. How's that stock sound? Is it too heavy or do you see any potential conflicts? I'd love to have some calvus or comps but have read conflicting things on min tank size for them...
Thanks and hope you enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It has recently come to my attention that most synos labeled as petricola are actually lucipinnis, ether species is great though.

Make sure you have plenty of rock work on one side, that's been the key to my success. You're also going to want to keep the flow heavier on the rock side, as goby cichlids are from the surf zone and prefer this area.

It has recently come to my attention that most synos labeled as petricola are actually lucipinnis, ether species is great though.

Make sure you have plenty of rock work on one side, that's been the key to my success. You're also going to want to keep the flow heavier on the rock side, as goby cichlids are from the surf zone and prefer this area.

Ok will do! And I have seen the name lucipinnis pop up on various forums but never looked deeper into them. Ill see if the fluval has high enough flow on that side and if needed I'll see about a powerhead maybe...

Lol no, that should be enough. I have a small marine land canister on mine and its positioned just over the rocks and works well.

Yay tangs!
I think marlieri and regani are on the bigger side compared to other julidochromis species, not an issue just sayin
I LOVE eretmodus. There is a fair amount of conspecific aggression so if you can get pairs that would be good. They fly all over my 90g. Also make sure they can fit through the rock structures, they force themselves through some tight spots and get a little banged up sometimes.
Occies are cool, I haven't kept them but sounds like a good choice.
I like your stock list. I would go with a bigger tank but that's just me...all of the species you mentioned that I have try to inhabit the same space in the tank (rocks near the sand) so just keep an eye out.
Do you know how many of each you're thinking?
Can't wait to see it!

Also if you don't have a fish source yet, Anthony Stissi of SIcichlids has an awesome selection!

Lol no, that should be enough. I have a small marine land canister on mine and its positioned just over the rocks and works well.

K will do!

Yay tangs!
I think marlieri and regani are on the bigger side compared to other julidochromis species, not an issue just sayin
I LOVE eretmodus. There is a fair amount of conspecific aggression so if you can get pairs that would be good. They fly all over my 90g. Also make sure they can fit through the rock structures, they force themselves through some tight spots and get a little banged up sometimes.
Occies are cool, I haven't kept them but sounds like a good choice.
I like your stock list. I would go with a bigger tank but that's just me...all of the species you mentioned that I have try to inhabit the same space in the tank (rocks near the sand) so just keep an eye out.
Do you know how many of each you're thinking?
Can't wait to see it!

Also if you don't have a fish source yet, Anthony Stissi of SIcichlids has an awesome selection!

Thanks egghead! Regarding tank size this is the max for right now, things may change in the future however...
I'll certainly keep a watchful eye on the rock dwellers!
I'm definitely going to try and find a pair of eretmodus as well as the chosen juli. As with the synos I'm still not sold on but I get them maybe a pair or trio. as with the lamps im gonna buy a mess and let them do their own thing, removing when needed.
If you have any suggestions on numbers of these guys let me know!
Thanks for the source I'll check it out!

A pair of eretmodus and a pair of Julies should be ok I think. If you get more of either you'll definitely need more space IMO.
SIcichlids specializes in tanganyikans and Anthony was a huge help in assisting me with stock and numbers so maybe he will have some sweet finds that are compatible with what you picked.

A pair of eretmodus and a pair of Julies should be ok I think. If you get more of either you'll definitely need more space IMO.
SIcichlids specializes in tanganyikans and Anthony was a huge help in assisting me with stock and numbers so maybe he will have some sweet finds that are compatible with what you picked.

Alright sweet, I'll definitely look em up. Thanks!

Alright sweet, I'll definitely look em up. Thanks!

+1 on Anthony, last I heard, he had some eretmodus cyanostictus in stock. He is a great guy and amazing to deal with. And those occies will definitely chase away any fish that stray into their territory. I got a 55 setup with my pair and their single fry, and they are pretty aggressive. But I love this tank idea, and I hope it works out!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's set up day! Prayin it ain't too cold to paint today...

It has been completed! Well, for now that is, who knows what this will bring! Still a little cloudy, it'll clear up later. Lovin the play sand, took a long time to wash it however. Well anyway here she is!

Looks great!

Thanks egghead! I like it, but just gotta wait to see how the fishes feel lol.
I also emailed sicichlids earlier in the evening, no response but it was after hours a little so I'll check later. Thanks again for the recommendation and compliment!

I agree looks great. I wish some one made a 48 x 18 x 16. The foot print on the 40b is great. add a foot to the length and its perfect.
Cant wait to see it stocked.

I agree looks great. I wish some one made a 48 x 18 x 16. The foot print on the 40b is great. add a foot to the length and its perfect.

Cant wait to see it stocked.

Thanks mike! An lfs near me says they get in loads of wild tangs around April, not gonna put off stocking that long but might delay some fish to see what they got.

And now for something completely different, got a new phone, well actually I about destroyed my other one. Not gonna say any company names but they certainly screwed me on the matter. Have to use tapatalk now so until I figure this out don't look for any pics for a while!

pretty much decided on stock, I'm thinking: Group of 6 lamprologus ocellatus to be thinned out as paired, trio of julidochromis marleri, one eretmodus cyanostictus (possibly two if no synodontis') and id like to have a trio of synodontis petricola. So hows that sound? Lookin to order soon before the cold really sets in..

pretty much decided on stock, I'm thinking: Group of 6 lamprologus ocellatus to be thinned out as paired, trio of julidochromis marleri, one eretmodus cyanostictus (possibly two if no synodontis') and id like to have a trio of synodontis petricola. So hows that sound? Lookin to order soon before the cold really sets in..

Looks good, I'd watch the eretmodus, as I've heard they can be temperamental.

Sent via echolocation

Make sure to have distinct territories and you should be good. As much rock work as possible

thanks keegster! Ill be watching quite closely once in...
and Freak I'm not done with the rock yet, hoping to order some more but not for a while. I re-did my five gallon so after I stock this i should have more expendable monies! Unless someone makes a tacky fish Christmas sweater!
I might be able to snag the julis this weekend if the cycles going well...

Back
Top Bottom