Any cichlids that would fit in a 15g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I have an Aqueon 15g tall that currently houses a betta. I was thinking of moving her to a little 5g hex and putting a few cichlids in the 15g instead, however I'm not very familiar with them and would like some advice. Are there small cichlids that I could get say 3-5 of that would work in that small of a tank? Thanks in advance.

German blue rams /Apistogrammas are great dwarf South American cichlids...
I breed and sell both.
Best advice would be a pair only for each[one or the other IMO for a 15g]...

Really need an expert here. I had asked a similar question for a smaller tank and was told to check out the shell dwellers. Something I keep meaning to get back to as multi's came up for auction recently.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely take a closer look at them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not many. In my experience (mostly reading) , GBR's and Apisto's would work. I've also heard shelldwellers, but know nothing about Africans.

If you're interested in cichlids, why not try to save money and wait to buy a bigger tank? If you get a 55g, options definitely open up

Not many. In my experience (mostly reading) , GBR's and Apisto's would work. I've also heard shelldwellers, but know nothing about Africans.

If you're interested in cichlids, why not try to save money and wait to buy a bigger tank? If you get a 55g, options definitely open up

It doesn't necessarily have to be cichlids, I was just considering them as a possibility if there were those small enough to fit comfortably in that small of a tank. The tank is on my wife's desk and she is wanting a small shoal of fish to replace the betta. I may end up going with a group of barbs or something semi-aggressive.

As for the bigger tank suggestion, I'm already maintaining 4 separate tanks - a 240g fresh community, 75g soon-to-be marine, the 15g and a 5g. I don't really want to add a 5th to the mix at this point. I do appreciate the feed back, however. :)

Honestly shell dwelling tangyanikan cichlids sound pretty good for this tank, multis specifically. No Malawi or south/central though other than apistos or Rams which may work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want to be able to keep a small group of cichlids, get multis or brevis. I have brevis in my 10 gallon and they just won't stop breeding.

Sent via echolocation

If you want to be able to keep a small group of cichlids, get multis or brevis. I have brevis in my 10 gallon and they just won't stop breeding.
Sent via echolocation

Wow that's cool. Good thread :) I love a cichlid or two, and I only have a 10g.. Trying to save up for a bigger tank tho. My guppies seem happy in the tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you can add an extra couple of inches and 5 more gallons, a 20 long would be so much better for a couple of small cichlids. Rams can work and there are some small Africans as well that can work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey all, I have an Aqueon 15g tall that currently houses a betta. I was thinking of moving her to a little 5g hex and putting a few cichlids in the 15g instead, however I'm not very familiar with them and would like some advice. Are there small cichlids that I could get say 3-5 of that would work in that small of a tank? Thanks in advance.

I just cycled a 29 gallon in hopes of making it a cichlid tank soon. I too have multiple tanks 6.5, 20H, 20L, 29 and 72B but have never had cichlids. Naturally have high pH so that is a plus.

My son has a community 15H that looks great. Footprint same as 10 only taller.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1471137578786.jpg
    1471137578786.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 118
I decided to upgrade to a custom 18x18x18 inch 25g tank and stick with tropical community for now. Gonna make an attempt to aquascape it and try my luck with bamboo shrimp.

With a tank that size, there are several dwarf cichlids that could go with community fish

Apistogramma Borelli would be a good choice IMO, but there are many others that would work in several different genera

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm yeah true. I'll definitely keep those in mind, thanks.

Just be cautious in over crowding and double check with many sources before picking your cichlids. On the other hand... Cichlids are by far my lifetime favorite family of fish. South American and African. They are so inteligent and they show so much personality.

Dicrossus filamentosa would be a good choice as well

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom